Re: [opensuse-gnome] mouse pointer stays busy for 30 seconds after logging in
  • From: Magnus Boman <captain.magnus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 07:55:37 +1000
Jim,

On Tue, 2009-08-11 at 14:44 -0400, Jim Faulkner wrote:
I'm seeing a minor issue on OpenSUSE 11.1 in which the mouse pointer stays
in its "spinning circle" mode for 30 seconds or more after logging into
Gnome. I've tried checking running processes but there does not appear to
be any processes that are causing this. The process table is identical
both shortly after logging in while the mouse pointer is spinning, and a
minute after login at which point the pointer has gone back to normal.

I realize this is a minor cosmetic issue, however it is kind of annoying
because it seems to be telling the user "don't do anything yet, the
computer is busy." And the user will just sit staring at the spinning
wheel impatiently, even though Gnome has completely finished loading and
is ready for use.

Anyone know what might be causing this?

The issue you are seeing, likely has to do with something called
"StartupNotify". An application needs to let the Desktop know when its
done loading (unless StartupNotify is set to False in the .desktop
file).

My guess is that you have an application in your autostart which does
not tell the Desktop that it is done loading.

The following command, in a terminal, will show you what apps are
started automatically when you login;

ls -l ~./config/autostart

If possible, try to exit each of those apps and start them manually to
see if you can figure out which one is causing this, or send us the
output and perhaps we can figure it out.

Cheers,
Magnus