Re: [opensuse-gnome] Monsoon/Transmission, Pidgin/Empathy, Gwibber, etc.
  • From: Charles Kerr <charles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 11:50:37 -0500
On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 3:52 AM, Vincent Untz<vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

My guess (as someone who didn't follow any of this closely) is that
the monsoon package wouldn't ship with the add-in by default, but adding
it would be easy.

I asked Novell's legal about the DHT issue and got a fast and
helpful reply, which I've added to #2222 for posterity:
<http://trac.transmissionbt.com/ticket/2222#comment:14>

but that we should ensure that we at least inform the user that
the package ($BITTORRENT_CLIENT) should only be used for legal
file transfer. .... If your client displayed a notice on startup it might
suffice - of course, it would be much more elegant to have the distro
do this so that there would be no need to change all currently
available P2P clients."

This is good news IMO, since it avoids the need for a separate DHT
plugin and/or maintainers packaging two separate builds when one
will do.

I agree with Ciaran that a general popup is cleaner than one per-app.
But for the short term, here's a per-app popup for Transmission:
<http://trac.transmissionbt.com/attachment/ticket/2222/legal-notice.diff>
which generates this dialog:
<http://imgur.com/LMF6d.png>

cheers,