[opensuse-gnome] Question for users of G:F on Factory
  • From: Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 15:48:00 +0200
Hi,

(if you're using G:F with 11.1, you can ignore the question :-))

With the reorganization of devel projects that happened in June, we're
in a position where it's not easy to build everything in G:F: for
example, gnome-disk-utility always requires the latest DeviceKit-disks,
which is supposed to live in Base:System (we have a version in G:F too).

So we have two options:

a) make a bunch of links from other projects to G:F, so everything
builds fine.
Pro: easy for user of G:F: they only need to have G:F
Con: confusing since people might think packages are developed in
G:F

b) create GNOME:Backports:Factory (or a similar project) where we'd put
similar links.
Pro: no confusion possible for developers.
Con: users of G:F would need to also add this repository in the
zypper config to make sure they have a working system.

I'm leaning towards b because I think most people using G:F on Factory
are power users and can easily change the zypper config.

(Note that in all cases, we have to be careful: for example, when
pushing gnome-disk-utility to oS:F, we need to make sure that the right
DeviceKit-disks from Base:System has been pushed too)

Les gens heureux ne sont pas press├ęs.