Re: [opensuse-gnome] What is the top 5 things that should be fixed/improved for GNOME in openSUSE 11.2?
  • From: Bryen <suserocks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 10:41:49 -0500
On Fri, 2009-03-13 at 08:06 -0700, Nagappan A wrote:
Hello Magnus,

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 6:19 AM, Magnus Boman <captain.magnus@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Naggapan,

Fair suggestion. My only thing then is, what apps do one expect to have
installed? And what apps do you think we're missing from either the
GNOME repo and/or Contrib?

We have openSUSE build service, that's really awesome and other
repositories mentioned over here
http://en.opensuse.org/Additional_YaST_Package_Repositories,
http://en.opensuse.org/Package_Repositories

I have some end user scenario: Now in gnome itself, we have 2
repositories available (stable and contrib) listed in the above link.
If the user wants to add some other package, which exist in another
repository, then that also has to be added explicitly by the user to
the list of repositories, correct ? If something works out of the box
with just adding one repository will be good. Take a case of Ubuntu,
most of the time just regular repository should be fine. In some
cases, you may need to add just (max) 1 external repository. That ease
the process for end users.

Thanks
Nagappan

I agree that the myriad of repositories can be mind boggling even to the
experienced user. What's not clear in this sub-thread is the *what*
part.

For the standard user, we have OSS/NonOSS/Contrib. We also have
GNOME:Community. In addition, we have GNOME:Stable and GNOME:Factory
(+related Factory Repos.)

In past discussions, Nagappan has pointed out the challenge for
developers using openSUSE platforms and trying to grab the latest and
greatest for their work. I think G:F is a good place for them to go, as
it seems quite stable to me. But that probably isn't the place to
include for regular users.

Regular users, however, might be interested in G:S which is not enabled
by default. How does the system know and deliver the proper stuff to
the user? System can't detect if you're a dev or regular user.

I still think the ultimate solution is to create a Dev version of
openSUSE-GNOME in SUSEStudio with all the latest and greatest
repositories enabled. It's easy enough to do that, I think.

Bryen Yunashko
openSUSE Board Member
openSUSE-GNOME Team Member
GNOME-A11y Team Member