[opensuse-gnome] To Changelog or to not Changelog
  • From: Magnus Boman <captain.magnus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 12:02:53 +1100
Hello,

Currently, when doing package updates, we have some (strange) policy
that we have to put in what changes upstream made (ie, bugfixes, new
features etc).

All this information is already available in the NEWS/ChangeLog file for
most packages.

Since this doesn't seem to be an openSUSE policy [1] I wonder why we
enforce this for GNOME components?

Enforcing updates of the changelog makes it possible to check details of
upstream changes with;

# rpm -q --changelog nautilus

By not enforcing these changes, one can do;

# cat /usr/share/doc/packages/nautilus/NEWS

I see little (if any) value in doing this, but it adds a lot of time
when doing a package update, so I would like to change the policy to
simple contain specific updates that the packager made (add/remove patch
etc)

Opinions?

Cheers,
Magnus