Re: [opensuse-gnome] Extra launchers in System and Utilities categories
  • From: Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 18:41:52 +0100
Le jeudi 20 novembre 2008, à 20:17 +0100, Michael Monreal a écrit :
Hi,

is anyone working on reducing count of launchers showing up under the
"System" and "Utilities" categories in the app browser?

I just had a look myself because those categories are really cluttered
beyond being usable, but I it doesn't really make sense to me.

For example, why does the "Appearance" capplet launcher show up in
"Utilities"? The Categories string is the following:

GNOME;GTK;Settings;DesktopSettings;X-SuSE-Control-Center-LookAndFeel;

In applications.menu it only seems to match on Category=Utility for the
Utilities group... so how is this getting here? Same for about 15-20
other launchers...

IMHO fixing this should get a high priority as the app browser is really
getting unusable.

I wanted to work on this, but I keep getting other important things to
fix, so I didn't had enough time for this specific thing so far. It's
probably happening because of how applications.menu is built.

If you want to see how "broken" it is (broken is just my personal
opinion, it's probably mainly a matter of taste), add the upstream menu
bar and look at the menu. It will also help you know why Appearance
appears there (because it contains DesktopSettings, I think).