[opensuse-gnome] Moving packages from G:F to G:C/Contrib
  • From: Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 23:01:57 +0100
Hi,

Since I'm waiting doing nothing, I'm looking at the list of packages in
G:F and starting to look at what we could move to G:C (the goal being to
have them in Contrib) -- or drop them.

The criterias I used to create this list are something like:
+ is the project still alive upstream?
+ is it useful for that many people?

For those wondering, I can see a Novell reason to move stuff (I guess it
means less things to support for Novell), but also a reason for the
community (less rules, so faster action possible).

So, list of stuff:

+ all the galago things: we don't even know if it's still working
(note to self: this includes gnome-presence-applet)
+ bakefile: it seems it used to be required by webkit, but it's not
anymore?
+ bombermaze: old game. Old. Did I say it's old? But probably fun.
+ conglomerate: an XML editor. Not really developed anymore.
+ eiciel: an ACL editor. I thought nautilus does this now?
+ fyre: a nice app, but, hrm, not really needed by many people
+ g-wrap: something related to guile. Not used by anything?
+ gDesklets: I'm unsure there, feedback welcome.
+ gbrainy: cool game, but not sure why it's here.
+ giver: err, this didn't move lately, and last thing I heard about it
is that it's not totally ready
+ glade: why do we keep the old unmaintained glade?
+ gnome-blog: handy I guess, but not for most people
+ gnome-commander: not a lot of people replace nautilus
+ gnome-reset: like gnome-blog
+ gnome-themes-extras: maybe? Depends on the themes in there, I guess
+ gnomeicu: most people will use pidgin or a telepathy-based client
+ gob2: tool for developers, but I don't think anything use it anymore
+ goobox: old sound-juicer competitor
+ gqview: we have eog
+ gthumb: a bit harder, but I think most people are happy with f-spot
+ libesmtp: needed by balsa (which is not in G:F, but is related to G:F)
balsa is not that used, so a good candidate too
(oops, libesmtp is required by kdump, so no)
+ libghttp: not used by anything?
+ libiptcdata: needed by gthumb only
+ libmcs: not used by anything?
+ mergeant: not really for end-users...
+ mozilla-bonobo: err. Bonobo?
+ tasque: is it still developed?

Yeah, this is a big list -- better to be aggressive :-)

Les gens heureux ne sont pas press├ęs.