Re: [opensuse-gnome] Contrib and G:C
  • From: Wolfgang Rosenauer <wolfgang@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 09:53:32 +0200
Hi,

Bryen schrieb:
Likely, some things from OSS/Non-OSS might also get moved over to
Contrib if enough community members can maintain it, thus relieving
Novell of some of the packaging work and freeing up its devs.

Most unlikely something from non-oss gets moved since the buildservice
policy doesn't allow that.
As far as I understood (up to now) Novell doesn't plan to outsource
something right now (but probably will at some point) but we sometimes
see package giveaways and drop requests where Contrib could be the right
place if they are not taken Novell internal. And as Alexey always points
out Contrib is for the thousands of packages Debian has and openSUSE hasn't.

But before we do that, we felt it was important to first determine what
guidelines we as a group agree upon for how to determine the criteria
for submitting to Contrib. And we're discussing that here and now.
Note: No possible criteria was brought up during the meeting itself.
Clean slate here.

An example package we used in today's meeting was Pidgin. At what point
do we feel that Pidgin in G:C is ready to be copied over to Contrib for
the next distro release?

Pidgin is a very bad example since it exists in openSUSE and therefore
is not allowed to be in Contrib. _And_ I don't think that even when
Gnome switched the default to something else Pidgin can't/shouldn't be
dropped from openSUSE (yet).

So the criteria (also inherited from Contrib) could be:
- package must not exist in openSUSE
- package must not create file conflicts with openSUSE
- package can be (mostly) maintained w/o version/feature upgrades
- package can be built against plain openSUSE (and Contrib)
- make sense to have frozen in Contrib (some packages are that fast
changing that it doesn't make much sense to have a frozen one)

Wolfgang