[opensuse-gnome] Do you have some time? Test system-config-printer!
  • From: Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 06:03:38 +0200
Hi,

I've put a new system-config-printer in home:vuntz:factory-playground,
and it'd be nice to have people playing with it.

I welcome all kind of bug reports (I'm aware of quite a few UI things
that could be improved), of course, but the interesting thing to test is
that there's some PolicyKit love in there. Okay, it's hacky love, since
the way it's implemented is, hrm, interesting :-) But it works right
now. At least, that's what I'd like people to check.

There are still a few issues:

+ some time, you get the non-PolicyKit dialog asking for a root
password (the most annoying case is on startup, when you have a smb
printer). That's just because the request sent to the server is not
implemented yet in the PolicyKit helper. But most useful methods are
implemented.

+ in theory, a PolicyKit helper is supposed to be secure. Right now,
it's not as secure as it should be. For example, it doesn't check if
the arguments that it will send to CUPS are okay. But that's fine for
testing.

+ the policy defined is, err, dumb. There's just one action defined,
and all configuration changes use this action to check the user is
authorized. That's not what we want, I guess, but this is easily
fixable later: we just need to know what kind of actions we want to
distinguish.

Please play with this if you have some time. And file bugs (assign them
to me).

(FWIW, the real long term solution is most probably to patch CUPS
itself, but it was not possible to do this for 11.1 for various reasons
-- most notably, time.)

Les gens heureux ne sont pas press├ęs.