Re: [Evolution-hackers] [opensuse-gnome] Evolution 2.22 for Factory
  • From: Srinivasa Ragavan <sragavan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 09:49:18 +0530
Hello Guys,

On Fri, 2008-09-19 at 22:14 -0500, Hans Petter Jansson wrote:
[ Adding evolution-hackers to Cc since this contains potentially useful
feedback and some questions ]

On Fri, 2008-09-19 at 18:06 +0100, Michael Meeks wrote:
On Fri, 2008-09-19 at 00:40 -0500, Hans Petter Jansson wrote:

Note 2: If you ran the newer version of Evolution previously, you should
delete the sqlite database it creates before reverting to the old one -
otherwise it will think the sqlite database is an mbox and try to index
it, which will cause errors. Delete ~/.evolution/mail/local/folders.db*.

That - is really bad. Can we not name our db in some way that this
doesn't happen ? is there really no solution here ? if not, why are
these databases in a place where older versions get confused & start
doing stupid things ? - can we not put them somewhere else ?

Michael, Its n't possible to keep it there still not findable by the old
version. AFAICS, { ".msf", ".ev-summary", ".ev-summary-meta",
".ibex.index", ".ibex.index.data", ".cmeta", ".lock" } are the possible
extensions that the old version of Evolution ignores. But these have
definite meanings and possible they exist as locks, metafiles or
old-type-summaries. Naming the new summary that way would probably erase
the real data.

That's a question for the Evo team, I guess - it looks like it could be
trivially fixed by moving the folder.db somewhere else, or calling it
folder.index or folder.ibex.index or whatever Evolution traditionally
filters out.

HPJ, the summary can't be named like this, since, its possible that
something like this already exists. .ibex.index has a traditional
meaning and would be more of abusing it in the newer versions.

To Evolution's credit, my 500MB folder.db binary blob didn't cause it to
crash - it showed up as a bogus local mail folder after about 15 minutes
of disk churn - but it did throw errors whenever it needed to pull data
for vfolders.

But, the old version shouldn't touch the folders.db automatically,
meaning the new summary would be safe, unless the user manually deletes
or adds mails to it.

Also, it looks like old summary/index files aren't removed - does it
require both the sqlite database and summaries now? It increases disk
space consumption quite a bit.

That is left purposefully. Incase you are a user switching across
versions, probably you would have to recreate summaries every time you
do. But first time, we just migrate and don't care later on. So if you
aren't a user of that category, a rm of it manually should suffice.
[probably some more summaries left on the other accounts]

Switching between versions, should work right ?

Michael, AFAICS, it should work fine, we don't touch old summaries
written by old version. If it happens, file a bug (I dont think it
happens ):-) Just that the old version reports you of a new folder
folders.db.

Should we ship a patch for older Evolution versions to ignore
folders.db? May be worth for power users of SLEs and RHEs, who might
still use older version & new version.

-Srini