Re: [opensuse-gnome] /GNOME wiki cleanup
  • From: "Christopher Hobbs" <chobbs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 10:08:48 -0500
On Wed, 2008-09-17 at 09:12 -0500, Bryen wrote:
On Wed, 2008-09-17 at 14:03 +0200, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
On Thu, 2008-09-11 at 11:31 -0500, Christopher Hobbs wrote:
Greetings, list!

We've been discussing the state of the GNOME section of the wiki for the
past two meetings. This mailing has been delayed mainly because I've
been incredibly busy in my personal life.

I'd like to try to tackle a wiki cleanup event, similar in fashion to
our BugDays. The /GNOME section of the wiki could use a little updating
and perhaps a better navigation scheme from a support standpoint.

That being said, I'd like to know what you like or dislike about the
GNOME section? What would you like to see there or what would you post
yourself if you had the time? What would you remove?

the wiki looks too wiki to me, that is, it is very nice to use a wiki
for easy editing of pages by several people, but it needs a more
website-oriented interface. The main page in en.opensuse.org looks like
a good way to organise it, with several well separated sections (and a
nice look, better than the GNOME page). More user-oriented stuff should
be added, like links to documentation, themes, tutorials, articles, etc.
Also, the Participating and Developing links in /GNOME should probably
better placed in a subsection (called Participate or something like Get
Involved)

It is also a nice idea to have like the main page, a news roll on the
right, maybe with just meeting announcements or whatever else is GNOME
oriented.

We also discussed the potential of having a single person responsible
for checking the wiki on occasion to make sure that it's complete and in
order. A maintainer of sorts, I suppose. Given the collaborative
nature of a wiki, it wouldn't seem logical to have a single person
editing pages, but rather a single person simply checking for stale,
outdated, or misplaced pages and potentially grammatical errors.

definitely, we need a wiki team, with 1 or 2 people to look after all
changes done to the wiki.
--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo@xxxxxxxxxx>

I think Rodrigo has the right idea about how to make the "home page"
of /GNOME more inviting. In case you all haven't seen it yet, this is
what the upcoming change to o.o is going to look like:
http://webtest.opensuse.org/en/. It has gotten some good praise so far
from those of us reviewing it. Perhaps we should do something similar
here.

I suggest getting in touch with the designer of this page: Andreas
Dremmer (ademmer on IRC) and seeing how we can mimic this page
for /GNOME.

Bryen

Drat! Didn't actually send this message to the list.

At any rate, I was just curious to know if this was an example of a
static page or if it was actually a wiki page.

Keep in mind we have to work around wiki syntax, which can be ugly at
best. Do we want people to be able to edit an introductory page? Would
it help to have a static face for /GNOME that links to wiki pages?

I like the openness, but reproducing that page with wiki voodoo may be
difficult.

PS - Bryen for Board!
--
Christopher M. Hobbs, chobbs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Network Administrator, City of Siloam Springs