Re: [opensuse-gnome] Go Elsewhere?
  • From: Bryen <suserocks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 22:27:05 -0500
On Sun, 2008-07-27 at 22:58 -0400, Jayson Rowe wrote:
Kevin Dupuy wrote:
On Sun, 2008-07-27 at 20:25 -0500, Bryen wrote:

Twice this past weekend, I've come across people in #suse saying "If you
want to use GNOME" go to another distro. Each time I confronted them,
they have not been able to back up their statement. Both times, it was
an entirely different person mentioning it.

I'm concerned with how this is happening. Twice in one weekend is a
little too close for comfort for me. Is this a growing notion among
non-GNOME users? Is there FUD being spread about openSUSE-GNOME? I
don't know. But we should be aware that it is happening and try to nip
it in the bud when possible.

Allowing this to be a widespread belief is not in anyone at openSUSE's
best interests, no matter how false this premise is.

Bryen

There are a lot of KDE fanboys and fangirls on #suse, so I don't know if
it's *increasing*, but it is there and a problem.

As far as FUD, besides the old crap about Mono, I don't know of any. But
if I do hear anything, I'll definitely try to nip it in the bud (and
shove it down a well. I just like to make sure it down ;-))

I have seen this as well...many times on #suse. Often people ask
questions, are given "KDE solutions", then when the user states they are
using GNOME they are either ridiculed or ignored. It really makes me
sad, because otherwise, the openSUSE community is great.

Just wanted to put in my $0.02 since I've seen the same thing going on
as well, but didn't put 2 and 2 together until I read this.

-jayson

While the KDE vs. GNOME thing is sad, that's not the issue I was
referring to. What I'm referring to is people implying that our GNOME
implementation isn't good enough and that other distros are better, and
thus go elsewhere. That's just a disservice to all you hard working
folks who contribute to making GNOME really good in openSUSE. And I
see no reason for them to diss their own family. That's what's sad.

Anyway...

Bryen