Re: Improving the menu structure (was Re: [opensuse-gnome] Re: [opensuse-packaging] Menu handling)
  • From: Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek <jakub.rusinek@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 16:43:46 +0200
Dnia 2008-07-25, pią o godzinie 14:45 +0200, Vincent Untz pisze:
Le lundi 19 mai 2008, à 01:35 +0200, Vincent Untz a écrit :
FWIW, I've submitted a gnome-menus update this week-end (will reach
factory soon, hopefully) that will help improve the experience for
people not using gnome-main-menu:

+ instead of only having a yast item in the system menu of the menu
bar, you'll have direct access to the capplets (with the same
content as the one displayed in the gnome-control-center shell)

+ you can set the XDG_MENU_PREFIX environment variable to "gnome-"
(without quotes) to use the upstream menu structure. IMHO, the
upstream structure is better than the one we currently have, but
that's obviously subjective -- and we'll have to fix the categories
for quite a few desktop files so that they appear in the right place.
It seems to me that it's not reasonable to set XDG_MENU_PREFIX by
default at the moment, but it might be something we want to do for
11.1. Note that setting XDG_MENU_PREFIX will also affect the
application browser.

I'd like us to use XDG_MENU_PREFIX="gnome-" by default in 11.1. I'd love
to submit a package with this change so we can get early feedback.

Also, what do people think about renaming the System submenus to
Administration (that's the 4th category in the control center shell,
fwiw)? It will be better for people not using gnome-main-menu (else,
they end up with System->System).

I love you and your initiative :D .

gnome- as default is great idea. This will end up my complaining about
messy menu ;) .

"System" category is not so good idea. I think that "More" looks better
than System, but is it really needed?

BTW, next problem was, that many configurations program landed in
Applications instead of System menu. Same for YaST2 modules - they
should never appear in Applications, but they did.
Not sure if this is still actual.

--
Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek
http://liviopl.jogger.pl/