Re: [opensuse-gnome] GNOME:STABLE urgently needs clean-up
  • From: Stanislav Brabec <sbrabec@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 17:05:38 +0200
Michael Wolf wrote:

I don't see the benefit of the GTK_* repositories.

Maybe. It can be a part of GNOME*.

GNOME:APPLICATIONS: Set of GNOME applications and GNOME application
libraries.

In all repositories above, no´╗┐ updates of dependent non-GNOME package
will be allowed!

Do you mean no updates of packages that GNOME depends upon, or packages
that depend upon GNOME?

No package that GNOME depends upon, except very well documented cases
(and not mixing GNOME packages with such updates).

GNOME:APPLICATIONS would be intended for packages that depend upon GNOME
or GTK, but no updates of libraries these packages depend upon.

Again, we should create a work-flow, how to provide such updates in well
documented cases (e. g. per-distro aggregate, repo order in project
configuration etc.).

Such libraries taints it a lot.

If you mean the former, I agree. If you mean the latter, I don't
understand.

Finally, what would the difference between GNOME:APPLICATIONS and
GNOME:Community be?

GNOME:APPLICATIONS should be intended as a source project for Factory.
It may be GNOME:apps-Factory or so.

I just started with the purge and removed package independend on GNOME
from GNOME:STABLE.

I am sure, that it will break 10.2. If we want to fix 10.2, I would
propose to create 10.2_rebuilds (either repo or links in G:S) and base
10.2 builds on it. It would consist from links to 10.2 core packages,
that needs to be rebuilt against GNOME/GTK in /usr, e. g. avahi,
NetworkManager, dbus-1-glib,...

--
Best Regards / S pozdravem,

Stanislav Brabec