[opensuse-gnome] [Fwd: [GNOME Maint.] Gnome in OBS setup]
  • From: JP Rosevear <jpr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 09:08:24 -0400

-JP
--
JP Rosevear <jpr@xxxxxxxxxx>
Novell, Inc.
--- Begin Message ---
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 13:04:05 +0200

Hi,

I was told that Gnome projects does now build against the :Update repos
instead of the plain base distros which provide the GA version.

This is usually a bad idea because

1. It does trigger unneeded build load and force users to download more
   packages without need.
2. It can create incompatibilities, since a build on a updated system might
   not work on a GA version. While a compile on GA should always work on
   a updated system. The only exception are kernel modules here (and libzypp
   on 10.1)

Can you tell me a reason why you need to compile against the :Update
projects ?

bye
adrian

--