Re: [opensuse-gnome] GNOME Live CD trimming
  • From: Kevin Dupuy <kevindupuy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 07:40:57 -0500
On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 22:56 -0500, Hans Petter Jansson wrote:
I went through the list of packages from rpm -qa on the Live CD looking
for things that can be removed. Unfortunately, it's already cut pretty
close to the bone. Mono really hurts us, since its bindings libs bring
in a lot of dependencies.

I did find some candidates for removal, though:

bug-buddy - 1985624 bytes
* We have no debuginfo anyway, so it's next to useless.
* The google breakpad part is huge.
* It also installs a static version of the breakpad lib (?!).

xterm - 1989755 bytes
* I don't think we need two terminal programs, especially not
when one is so huge. gnome-terminal doesn't have any serious
technical shortcomings, and xterm is pretty much hidden from the
user as it is.

icewm - 1017076 bytes
icewm-lite - 643576 bytes
* Superfluous window manager.
* Is this needed for the installer or yast somehow?

These are probably good to go

tasque - 677049 bytes
* I don't think this is mature enough to warrant the space on
the Live CD.
* Evolution has task support.
* Requires Inet connectivity?
* Currently crashes on start due to missing Mono dep
NDesk.DBus.GLib.

xournal - 330731 bytes
* It's a note-taking app that looks like a real journal with
margins and guide lines. Lets you doodle.
* Too specialized for the Live CD?
* We're shipping Tomboy notes.

These two can be useful for a lot of people. I'd probably say keep
Tasque (unless it's incredibly buggy) and remove Xournal.
--
Kevin "Yo" Dupuy | Public Mail <kevin.dupuy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> | Yo.media:
225-590-5961