[opensuse-gnome] Re: GNOME Live CD trimming
  • From: Hans Petter Jansson <hpj@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 00:48:47 -0500
On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 07:17 +0200, Stephan Kulow wrote:
Am Freitag, 25. April 2008 schrieb Hans Petter Jansson:

bug-buddy - 1985624 bytes
* We have no debuginfo anyway, so it's next to useless.

Well, you can install debuginfos as soon as bug-buddy greets you, no?
And I thought bug-buddy is also used to report bugs to gnome?

Yeah. Can you install debuginfo packages on the live system?

* The google breakpad part is huge.
* It also installs a static version of the breakpad lib (?!).

That sounds like a valid bug report :)

Will file.

xterm - 1989755 bytes
* I don't think we need two terminal programs, especially not
when one is so huge. gnome-terminal doesn't have any serious
technical shortcomings, and xterm is pretty much hidden from the
user as it is.

Yeah, but I'm really afraid people will shoot me if I take this off ;)

Let them make their own "old farts" live CD. You don't see me crying
about rxvt or emacs, eh :)

icewm - 1017076 bytes
icewm-lite - 643576 bytes
* Superfluous window manager.
* Is this needed for the installer or yast somehow?

It's needed by sax2 for the test environment. The installer needs it too,
but that is not so interesting unless we offer a direct way to start the
installer (which I'm thinking about).

Ok. Is there some way we can tell sax which window manager to use? Then
we could re-use metacity. It sounds like it could be a quick hack.

tasque - 677049 bytes
* I don't think this is mature enough to warrant the space on
the Live CD.
* Evolution has task support.
* Requires Inet connectivity?
* Currently crashes on start due to missing Mono dep
NDesk.DBus.GLib.

See #379486

I'm not crazy about that decision...

xournal - 330731 bytes
* It's a note-taking app that looks like a real journal with
margins and guide lines. Lets you doodle.
* Too specialized for the Live CD?
* We're shipping Tomboy notes.

This comes from the gnome-laptop selection. It's been in there before
I took over, so no idea. It's not exactly large either.

Every little bit helps, plus I couldn't actually get it to do anything
useful. Maybe it needs a pressure-sensitive input in order to draw. And
it's kind of ugly.

bc - 228015 bytes
* Too exotic for the Live CD? gcalctool sufficient?
* Only important dependent seems to be openssl, but I don't
think it's needed for openssl consuming programs (removed it
from my main computer with seemingly no ill effects).

Actually ddrescue requires it, which I put on the live cd for recovery.

Ah, I thought that dep was bogus because there's a GNU ddrescue that's
just compiled C++ with no external deps apart from the C++ libs. But our
ddrescue package actually contains dd_rescue, which is a different tool
that comes with a wrapper script (dd_rhelp) that uses bc in a number of
places, thusly:

[ "$( echo "$kbytes < 1024" | bc)" == "1" ] && { echo -n "$kbytes Ko" ;
return 0; }

The GNU ddrescue looks better, so maybe it's worth shipping that
instead?

See also:

http://www.kalysto.org/utilities/dd_rhelp/index.en.html
http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/ddrescue/