Re: [opensuse-gnome] GNOME Live CD trimming
  • From: JP Rosevear <jpr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 00:44:30 -0400
On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 14:16 +1000, Magnus Boman wrote:
On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 22:56 -0500, Hans Petter Jansson wrote:
I went through the list of packages from rpm -qa on the Live CD looking
for things that can be removed. Unfortunately, it's already cut pretty
close to the bone. Mono really hurts us, since its bindings libs bring
in a lot of dependencies.

I did find some candidates for removal, though:

bug-buddy - 1985624 bytes
* We have no debuginfo anyway, so it's next to useless.
* The google breakpad part is huge.
* It also installs a static version of the breakpad lib (?!).

crash.gnome.org can become useful soon.

xterm - 1989755 bytes
* I don't think we need two terminal programs, especially not
when one is so huge. gnome-terminal doesn't have any serious
technical shortcomings, and xterm is pretty much hidden from the
user as it is.

Not controlled by GNOME patterns. Need to bring it up on -project or
with coolo I guess.

Yep.

icewm - 1017076 bytes
icewm-lite - 643576 bytes
* Superfluous window manager.
* Is this needed for the installer or yast somehow?

Not controlled by GNOME patterns. Need to bring it up on -project or
with coolo I guess.

Used by sax2 afaik (reduced from fvwm2).

tasque - 677049 bytes
* I don't think this is mature enough to warrant the space on
the Live CD.
* Evolution has task support.
* Requires Inet connectivity?
* Currently crashes on start due to missing Mono dep
NDesk.DBus.GLib.

xournal - 330731 bytes
* It's a note-taking app that looks like a real journal with
margins and guide lines. Lets you doodle.
* Too specialized for the Live CD?
* We're shipping Tomboy notes.

See 'discussion' on http://en.opensuse.org/GNOME/Pattern_Review

Need to check with zoz/behlert, I think this is related to tablet PCs.

bc - 228015 bytes
* Too exotic for the Live CD? gcalctool sufficient?
* Only important dependent seems to be openssl, but I don't
think it's needed for openssl consuming programs (removed it
from my main computer with seemingly no ill effects).

Not controlled by GNOME patterns. Need to bring it up on -project or
with coolo I guess.

Agreed.

PackageKit - 1381964 bytes
gnome-packagekit - 1449137 bytes
* It's huge.
* You can't modify the software selection on the Live CD anyway.

What's on the LiveCD is also what will be on your computer after you
install it, hence we probably want to keep at least the updater. Not
sure about the rest as, if I understood it correctly, only the updater
will be officially supported in 11.0.

Agreed.

Then there's X-Chat vs. Pidgin, but I guess we should keep both since
you're stuck with what you've got on the Live CD.

Pidgin won the voting on
http://en.opensuse.org/GNOME/Pattern_Review/xchat
The problem we're facing now is to associate irc:// with pidgin. Their
implementation is broken :-( So yes, we might have to use xchat as
default irc client after all.

We can fix the greeter however to use a different uri.

If we remove all of the suggested packages, we will save 9,702,927 bytes
(according to the size field in rpm -qi), or 9,995,776 bytes if you take
block padding into account with 512-byte blocks, using the following
(cut/paste friendly) script:

I know meeks had some package splitting suggestions. Also there was the
xulrunner190 port possibilities.

-JP
--
JP Rosevear <jpr@xxxxxxxxxx>