Re: [opensuse-gnome] GNOME main menu bugs
  • From: Hans Petter Jansson <hpj@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 12:53:54 -0600
On Tue, 2008-04-01 at 14:06 +0200, Alberto Passalacqua wrote:

I'm sorry to repeat myself for the n-th time, but I don't understand why
the assignee of a bug doesn't answer to the bug report for example,
independently by votes, when it's a lot of time some of those bugs are
reported. At this point, marking those bugs as WONTFIX seems a solution
too, at least closer to what's actually happening.

The list of bugs at the beginning of this thread was written by me at
least twice. I saw the bugs assigned for ages, without even a comment
from the assignee, and of course without fixes.
In the IRC channel I received answers like "we are waiting for the next
version, then we will see if the bug is still there", but a bug usually
doesn't fix by itself.

AFAIK the main-menu received a bunch of fixing and patches from Federico
and others, but they were not aimed at closing specific bugs, but rather
general tasks such as "reducing leaks" and "improving performance". I've
sat in on at least one session of main-menu code review myself.

What seems to be the problem here is communication. I suspect that Scott
Reeves thinks these bugs might have been fixed by the review and
patches, but that he's not entirely sure, and hasn't had time to verify
it yet. Instead of closing the bugs as "probably fixed", he leaves them
open so that they're not lost in case the bugs are still there. This is
good practice, but maybe it could have been communicated better.

The last comment I heard about these issues was from jpr, who said "I
asked sreeves to revise them". From that time, nothing.

Have you tried contacting Scott directly? That seems like the most
logical course of action.

I can vote for bugs, but it is pretty clear that a bug report regarding
a memory leak of about 100 MB, a loading time of about a minute for an
applet or a CPU usage of 100% are more urgent than, for example,
resizing the menu buttons.

Being the main-menu one of the applets characterising GNOME in openSUSE,
and being loaded by default, it's basic common sense to try to have it
without these issues, or at least to give an answer of what plans are in
the box for it.

Yes. Have you verified that the bugs are still there? If not, could you
do that and add comments to the bugs saying "still a problem in Alpha 3"
or whatever? Magnus does that, and I know it's helpful when it comes to
my own bugs. Then I can know what to focus my attention on without
spending a lot of time investigating each one.

I guess you should make sure that the hackweek patches Magnus mentioned
are in before you test.

Sorry for not looking deeper into your complaint before posting my
initial reply. I still think bug voting is a good idea :)

--
Hans Petter