[opensuse-gnome] Call for testers: notification-daemon change
  • From: Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 02:10:09 +0100
Hi,

I've reworked the notification-daemon package so that we stop using an
old unmaintained notification theme (bubble) and instead use a new theme
based on the maintained standard theme with only a few changes.

A test package will be available soonish at:
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/vuntz:/factory-playground/openSUSE_Factory/

The two main changes are:

+ let the theme decide if it wants to always stack notifications
(instead of having notifications placed near the notification area,
-- a good test for this is clicking on a batter item in the menu of
the gnome-power-manager notification icon)
In previous packages, all themes always stacked notifications, which
is a change compared to upstream behavior. Now people can choose the
standard theme to get upstream behavior.

+ the new theme makes it possible to easily change the color of the
stripes via the GTK+ theme. For this, you just need to match a widget
in a GtkWindow with name "notification-window". I believe this should
work (untested) to match the relevant widget:
notification-window.GtkEventBox.GtkVBox
But I could be wrong, and I'm in no way an expert in gtkrc styles ;-)
The two important colors are bg[GTK_STATE_NORMAL] for the stripe in
low priority notifications and bg[GTK_STATE_SELECTED] for the stripe
in normal priority notifications.

You can select which notification theme to use via this gconf key:
/apps/notification-daemon/theme. "standard" is the upstream theme and
"bubble" is the patched theme (I've kept the same name as the one we had
previously for compatibility reasons).

I'd love to have people test the package to tell me if there's any
regression or if it fixes any known bug for them. And it'd fantastic to
have someone play with a GTK+ theme to show that it's possible to change
the color of the stripe this way!

Les gens heureux ne sont pas press├ęs.