Re: [opensuse-gnome] Changing gconf default values without a patch
  • From: Stanislav Brabec <sbrabec@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 18:08:46 +0100
Vincent Untz wrote:
Le lundi 10 mars 2008, à 16:50 +0100, Stanislav Brabec a écrit :
Vincent Untz wrote:

2) Instead of patching schemas files to change the defaults, we create
files for those changes and we'll have them installed in a gconf-y
way in this new /etc/gconf/gconf.xml.distro.defaults

What name exactly other distros use?

They're using /var/lib/gconf/debian.defaults.
(They put schemas in /var/lib/gconf since they're not configuration
files that should be modified, and they use
/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults for the settings modified by the admins)

3) Instead of shipping those new files in each package, we create a
gnome-policy-openSUSE package that will ship them

Or follow branding proposal and make it package specific and name it
foo-branding-openSUSE

Well, I was not sure that this should be called branding, but I'm of
course fine with this.

It was introduced in discussion on opensuse-packaging as a generic
approach for packages branding (see the whole discussion there).

gconf schemas is only an extension of this idea, and it would be nice to
follow the naming scheme, so the tool checking and changing branding
could handle gconf defaults as well.

default bookmarks will be called branding as well.

See my patch in a separate mail.
(I have no problem with another name of the directory.)

--
Best Regards / S pozdravem,

Stanislav Brabec
software developer