Re: [opensuse-foundation] Purpose of the Foundation; help refine the definition
On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 12:18 PM, Alan Clark <aclark@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 1/24/2011 at 04:02 AM, in message <ihjm7c$67s$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Per
Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Vincent Untz wrote:

Le lundi 24 janvier 2011, à 10:25 +0100, jdd a écrit :
Le 24/01/2011 10:02, Per Jessen a écrit :
jdd wrote:

We may also very quickly be obliged to hire some lawyers,
secretary, even some room (managing money in may be millions
dollars need cautions, how do Mozilla do?)

According to wikipedia, the Mozilla Foundation has 150 employees.

sure, but how is it managed? (not that I hope so much cash very soon
:-))

We can look at Foundations that manage thousands instead of millions
as a start...

That might be more realistic :-)

Of course, the management principles remain the same, it's just the
amount of workload that differs.

The GNOME Foundation and the KDE eV both handle that
very well, with a board and a part-time/full-time administrator. (The
GNOME Foundation also has a part-time sysadmin and a full-time
executive director.)

A foundation is just a special kind of legal entity - the practical
aspects of how it is managed is the same as any other business.

You are right in that we do need to figure out how to manage the funds.  The
legal entity does have to account for them to the members.  We will need to
develop a very 'light weight' process to manage it.  That's why I put a
placeholder topic on the wiki. Think simple - aka spreadsheet.  The
interesting part is that the project hasn't really tracked funds (as a
project) in the past, so we have a learning curve ahead of us.  Where we have
spent money in the past should help define how to categorize the funds in the
future.

I'm fine with a spreadsheet as a starting point.

Has the board/project had visibility into the Ambassadors funding, etc.?

ie. I believe ambassadors get giveaways, some travel expenses, booth
expenses, etc.

Has all that been handled internal to Novell and there is has no
visibility to the openSUSE board, or is it something that is known and
reported on to the openSUSE board?

== thoughts for addressing at the right time

If the board has visibility, a historical budget of the last couple
years would be a useful thing to have and it would need to be
documented who maintained the historical budgets (a new one is
generated every year). And who has visibility.

fyi: The same is true of the checkbook. Who maintains it and who is
allowed to look at it.

Greg