[opensuse-foundation] Input on http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Foundation
Hi,

in the last board meeting I got the friendly reminder to rather
contribute than comment on non contribution, which of course is
true.

Below there is a little text proposal for [1], which I understand
as a short overview text about the foundation.

As I am not sure if I am supposed to update the wiki directly, I
post it here and ask for your input and discussion. I am happy to
edit it into the wiki if noone objects.

regards,

Klaas

===

[1] http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Foundation

The openSUSE Foundation assists the openSUSE community efforts
in all activities of the openSUSE Project which include for
example
* build a general purpose Linux based Operating System including
a wide software spectrum for various usecases such as desktop,
server and development.
* promote free software in general and the openSUSE Project in
particular
* provide free content, for example documentation, artwork etc.
* provide infrastructure for people to work on free software
* help people to get together to innovate

The openSUSE Foundation is the legal body of the openSUSE Project.
It is a part of the project and controls legal aspects affecting
the community and can either hold trademarks or has a granted
decision power over the trademark usage from the actual trademark
owner. Another core responsibility is financial accounting.

The openSUSE Foundation consists of members who elect the board
of the Foundation. The membership status of individuals and
legal bodies like companies is in the foundations decision as
outlined in the bylaws.

Together with the community the openSUSE Foundation is helping to
create a space where all community members can benefit from vision
and ideas, commitment and solidarity. It cares to empower people
to take decisions to develop the openSUSE Project towards an even
more open, active and decisive community.

The Guiding Principles of the openSUSE Project is the commitment of
the community on how we want to work together. The board of the
foundation is entity that takes a special role in moderation and
decision taking as stated in the Guiding Principles. The openSUSE
Foundation however is not set up to take technical leadership
roles in the community.