[openFATE 310859] Rework www.o.o entry page
Feature changed by: Karl Cheng (qantas94heavy)
Feature #310859, revision 13
Title: Rework www.o.o entry page

- openSUSE Infrastructure: Unconfirmed
+ openSUSE.org: Unconfirmed
Priority
- Requester: Important
+ Requester: Desirable

Requested by: Manu Gupta (manugupt1)
Requested by: Thomas Schmidt (digitaltomm)

We need to rework the www.o.o entry page to use the bento design, make
it easier to add news, and be translateable by .po files so we can use
our l10n infrastructure.

Relations:
- opensuse entry page (url: http://www.opensuse.org)
- svn repo of old landing page (url:
http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/opensuse/trunk/infrastructure/www.o.o/)
- bento repository on gitorious (url:
http://gitorious.org/opensuse/themes)

#1: Zhang Han (flowabcd) (2010-11-24 13:08:32)
Agree.It look the same in weeks and practically "opensuse 11.3 has been
released" and "participate the community" take the major area of it.
However news is reasonably more important than announcements which
won't change in a period of time.Take a look in Mint's site,they give a
big block for news.More than that, we need some fancy Ads just like
fedora and ubuntu guys do. But IMHO a po file is not necessary since it
can be like a wiki page just like in Wikipedia.

#2: Manu Gupta (manugupt1) (2010-11-26 13:56:58)
Hi I had a look at this mockup
http://old-en.opensuse.org/images/8/80/OpenSUSE.org-Mockup.png
(http://old-en.opensuse.org/images/8/80/OpenSUSE.org-Mockup.png)
I think we can implement this one
I have already taken down the bento theme frpom gitorious.org. If this
looks good we can work on it
I have no idea howver how po files work & also how can we simplify the
Current system of adding news is rss feed from news.opensuse.org/feed
because afaik this should be updated automatically

#3: Thomas Schmidt (digitaltomm) (2010-11-26 16:23:14) (reply to #2)
I can help on the dynamic parts, for example i18n and rss feeds from
news.o.o. At the moment this site runs at novell, so I don't have
influence on installed frameworks, eg. rails etc. The current code of
the page is here:
http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/opensuse/trunk/infrastructure/www.o.o/
We also should start a broader discussion on what elements are expected on
that landing page and create a requirements list.

#4: Manu Gupta (manugupt1) (2010-11-26 18:14:32)
I saw the source thanks a lot..  Yes we need a broader discussion about
this and I had a look at few sites like UBUNTU, Fedora, Linux Mint and
Mandriva
Fedora - Focusses both on community and features they have while UBUNTU
and linux mint have focussed more on features.
IMO I like the fedora way
So This may be a list
1. Screenshots - With emphasis on features 2. Community - Contribution
3. OBS 4. Getting Help 5. Our Philosophy - Have Loads of Fun and
Freedom Of Choice
Add new links at the footer - doc.opensuse.org ( Have a look at the
fedora footer, this is instantaneously visible)
1 Question - Do we add SUSE Studio Its in our Nav Bar But its not a
part of the project. If yes it would be great

#5: Manu Gupta (manugupt1) (2010-12-03 17:05:31) (reply to #4)
Have a look at this and give me your feedback
http://www.suseware.com/bento

#6: Manu Gupta (manugupt1) (2010-12-30 21:24:15)
http://suseware.com/trial/extended.php
(http://suseware.com/trial/extended.php <br/>)
Have a look at this mock up ??? What do you guys say?? Please give me
your feedback

#7: Tom Zöhner (zoehneto) (2010-12-31 12:45:08) (reply to #6)
I think this is an awesome mock up, but please add a search field for
searching the wiki and put the news field over the opensuse project
field.