[openFATE 311661] Provide a live image to test all hardware on computer
Feature changed by: Tomáš Chvátal (scarabeus_iv)
Feature #311661, revision 7
Title: Provide a live image to test all hardware on computer

- openSUSE Distribution: New
+ openSUSE Distribution: Rejected by Tomáš Chvátal (scarabeus_iv)
+ reject reason: Meanwhile smolt died and automatic reporting is quite
+ breach of privacy.

Requested by: Bernhard Wiedemann (bmwiedemann)

SUSE manually maintained a Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) but this
has disadvantages: - it covers a limited range of hardware - parts of
it can be outdated or inaccurate - it is a lot of effort to maintain On
the other hand, people want an easy way to know if their hardware works
with the current or next release of openSUSE. This is why a Live image
is proposed that can easily be put to CD or USB-mass-storage and has an
easy way (e.g. icon on desktop) to test access to different types of
hardware: - graphics - sound - network - input ...
This software could then upload the test results to a public online
database in anonymous form. This DB could be the smolt DB or something
similar in spirit.

#1: Bruno Friedmann (bruno_friedmann) (2011-03-14 20:54:08)
I love too much all sort of tests we can add. And using smolt (when
this one doesn't need hal anymore) could be cool, as we can find OS by
our own release name.

#2: Sarah Kriesch (adalovelace) (2017-05-25 11:03:51)
We would need the approvement by the users then.