simple option on the sysconfig editor to do both?

Relations:
- Ability to select graphics driver at boot (feature/id: 313000)

#1: nick skeen (ns89) (2010-09-05 02:35:58)
There are better steps on how to disable it here:
http://www.suse.de/~sndirsch/nvidia-installer-HOWTO.html#1

#2: Jon Nelson (jnelson-suse) (2010-09-06 15:48:27) (reply to #1)
That link doesn't contain instructions for how to disable nouveau
except that they are buried within instructions for how to install the
proprietary NVidia module.

If you want to disable it, you don't need the no_kms_in_initrd thing at
all. Just use nomodeset (which you should add to
/etc/sysconfig/bootloader as well).
Having more than one way to do something frequently leads to all sorts
of problems. Have one well documented way. Using nomodeset should
prevent the module from loading entirely.

#3: nick skeen (ns89) (2010-09-10 08:58:06) (reply to #2)
That's just the way I was shown to disable it, I'm sure there is many
ways to do it.
And the reason I posted that link is because most, but not all users
who disable nouveau are doing so to use the proprietary driver.

#4: Jon Nelson (jnelson-suse) (2010-09-10 14:02:07) (reply to #3)
I installed the proprietary driver last night, and I was using nouveau
before.

I noted two changes, without having to do anything else:

1. no_kms_in_initrd was changed by the installation of the proprietary
rpm, and the machine booted fine without any other manual changes
(except the fonts in X were HUGE)
2. after uninstalling the proprietary rpm, the no_kms_in_initrd was not
changed back. Ideally, the no_kms_in_initrd value would take an 'auto'
param, which if the proprietary driver is installed would mean "yes"
otherwise "no", while still allowing the system administrator to choose
yes or no manually.