[openFATE 321192] Make simpler to update package stack like KDE/Plasma (or any DEs)stack, php stack
Feature changed by: Tomáš Chvátal (scarabeus_iv)
Feature #321192, revision 5
Title: Make simpler to update package stack like KDE/Plasma (or any DEs)
stack, php stack

- openSUSE Distribution: New
+ openSUSE Distribution: Rejected by Tomáš Chvátal (scarabeus_iv)
+ reject reason: We really do not plan to have partial updates. It is
+ pain in the long term management of the system. Simply put user should
+ be able to update to latest of everything he has in repositories and
+ stick to them.
+ You can even now disable recommends or specify to update only from one
+ selected additional repository using zypper if you really want to.

Requested by: Sharique Ahmed Farooqui (safknw)

This is issue more relevant to tumbleweed and also for the users of
factory/stable/current repo of specific stacks. I'm using tumbleweed.
As a user KDE I want to have latest stable release of KDE and plasma,
but I don't want to upgrade all other packages, so I didn't run `zypper
up`, instead I open package manager and search for kde and plasma
package and updated them. Unfortunately I forgot to update some
important packaged and after completion of installation when I
restarted X/KDE, it is broken, plasma shell is not appearing. So there
should be a meta package, which I upgrade/update it should
update/upgrade all installed package of that particular stack and it
should not install any other package that is outside of dependencies of
installed packages (ie. recommended packages).
Pattens are there in OpenSuse, but they are useful only for
installation package stack, but when I updated pattern, it only update
pattern meta package, not all packages included in pattern. May be we
can tweak patterns a bit to added updating whole stack.

Use Case:
As a user I should be able to update complete plasma/KDE stack by just
updating a single meta package. As a user I should be able to update
complete gnome desktop stack by just updating a single meta package.
As a user I should be able to update complete PHP stack by just
updating a single meta package.