[openFATE 318306] Systemd service to catch crashed X, try to auto repair it and restart
Feature changed by: Mindaugas Baranauskas (embar-)
Feature #318306, revision 7
Title: Systemd service to catch crashed X, try to auto repair it and
restart

SUSE Studio: Unconfirmed

Requested by: Mindaugas Baranauskas (embar-)

We could have solution automatically detect, if X.Org X Server
terminated with error. Then we could try repair X configuration and
restart X server.

Test Case:
That case encouraged me to write systemd service and script, which
temporaly is named as check-x-failed. So now I can boot from Live
image, see that I returned to black console where it ask login, but
after few seconds (several to ~12), grafical login manager (KDM) is
starts!
You can download it as systemd-check-x-failed-service RPM package:
http://software.opensuse.org/download.html?project=home%3Aembar-%
3ALietukas&package=systemd-check-x-failed-service
Source is here:

https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/home:embar-:Lietukas/systemd-check-x-failed-service
This is included in openSUSE based appliance Lietukas (
https://susestudio.com/a/CttYWz/lietukas-13-2-64-bit )
Initial version try to:
* check if /var/log/Xorg.0.log exist
* If so, check if it contains message about termaination with error.
* If so:
* try one of Xorg server configurations:
* try reuse current
* try reuse default
* use installation configuration
* Xorg -configure
* sax3
Then try restart X.
As Our systemd service continues, it with detect if X failed again and
will use next X server configuration.

Use Case:
This is very important now as we switched to system and much system
modules are included in initrd. This may cause much problems, e.g. then
- we we boot from LiveCD/LiveUSB. One problematic case described here:
http://suse-studio-users.1598176.n2.nabble.com/Tesdrive-OK-but-does-not-directly-login-go-grafical-interface-as-LiveUSB-tp7578893.html
+ we we boot from LiveCD/LiveUSB. Problematic cases described here:
+
http://suse-studio-users.1598176.n2.nabble.com/Booting-problems-tp7579231p7579309.html
+
(http://suse-studio-users.1598176.n2.nabble.com/Booting-problems-tp7579231p7579309.html)

#1: Mindaugas Baranauskas (embar-) (2015-08-25 20:01:30)
Recent changes (0.1.6 version) helps not to change good configuration,
if user intentionally make crash of X more than 2 minutes after last X
re-configuration: program will not run new X re-configuration. Time can
be changed in TIMEOUT variable.