[openFATE 319311] Let Zypper list updates during update process
Feature changed by: Jan Engelhardt (jengelh)
Feature #319311, revision 2
Title: Let Zypper list updates during update process

Requested by: Philipp Bielefeldt (pbiel)

One of the most common ways to install updates on openSUSE is to use
the terminal command
zypper up
Which (if any) gives back a list of updates to be installed. I find
this list pretty unhandy and ugly. The
zypper lu
command comes with a much nicer and more comprehensive list. I would
like to see "zypper update" creating a similar (or the same) list
before asking the user to accept the changes.

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: It's mostly because it looks better. But also, it helps
the user understand what will go on during an update, e.g. pointing to
potential vendor changes (using the "dup" option) or updates to a
version number not desired.

+ #1: Jan Engelhardt (jengelh) (2015-08-14 00:01:09)
+ And I don't - zypper up needs to be concise especially when there are
+ many, many updates - and this happens if you have repos like mingw.
+ If one command (up) does not give enough information, one can always
+ run another (lu). You can even give the 'd' answer when `zypper up`
+ asks you for y/n/...
+ [It's like the season problem: if it is cold, you can always put on
+ more, but if it is hot, you cannot remove more than what little there
+ is.]