[New: openFATE 318635] Installation-update to newer vesrions without CD/DVD
Feature added by: Nick Mantas (orion_0)

Feature #318635, revision 1
Title: Installation-update to newer vesrions without CD/DVD

Requested by: Nick Mantas (orion_0)

My proposal is the development of a way to install new distros or update to new
ones without having to use CD/DVD. This feature can be available within YaST or
as a stand-alone program ,to be available for use for other Linux Distros as
well. You mount the ISO within the program and the installation starts without
having to burn a disk

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: We all get excited when the new version of openSUSE becomes
avalable for download. We literally RUSH to the local computer store to get a
CD/DVD,or beg others to lend us one, in order to test it... unless we have...
Now imagine a program or a YaST extention where you mount the ISO you just
downloaded without having to to burn a disk. Not only convenient but also
eco-friendly as it reduces the amount of disks and unnecesary waste!!

Proposed name: ISOtope (isotopes are variants of a particular chemical element
which differ in neutron number. Same here:same ISO, different installation way)

List Navigation