[openFATE 314818] Life cycle for OpenSUSE
Feature changed by: Juraj Václavík (juvi)
Feature #314818, revision 8
Title: Life cycle for OpenSUSE

Requested by: Juraj Václavík (juvi)

Although this theme has been here many times, I return it again. The
reason is discussion in Ubuntu and Fedora communities, that reflects
the same problems, as exists in OpenSUSE..
I think, that today's concept is not good and limiting the spreading
this, I think, very good distribution into population. Today's concept
generates every 8 (or another number) months a quite new distribution.
That distribution includes the newest features - but it is suitable for
only a small group of users, as these features significantly decreases
the platform stability. This distinctively decrease exploatibility for
a great group of users, that are not very familiarly with Linux OS.
I think, that surely exists good concepts, that can solve it. I think,
that only determining a some period is not a solution, as, of course,
every quite new system must have a lot of bugs. To get a good and
stable distribution this distribution must have a time for
consolidation. I also think, that OpenSUSE has a good tools that is
very suitable for solving problems, that my concept require: good work
with repositories, rolling update - thumbleweed and alternatively
evergreen.
I think, that we can search solution easy by:
1) Prolongation the life cycle - the new major version distribution can
start every approximately 18 - 24 months.
2) structure the life cycle - development stage, stabilization stage,
production stage, maintenance stage, (evergreen stage?)
3) generating production distributions from "the actual state of the
art" every 6 months
The period of stages let is a theme for discussion. I think, that
developing stage can take about 6 months. This stage finished by
generating the "zero" minor number distribution - that is not for
production use. It follows stabilization stage - ~3 months, that
includes minor number 1 and 2. The minor number 2 started the stable
(production) stage, that continues by releasing minor number every 6
month (3, 4, 5). During this stage can be accepted new version of
applications, but only repaired and actualized version of desktop
environment, compiler and libraries. Maybe some exceptions for last
minor version? What about new version of kernel - it is theme for
discussion.
Every minor number releases since 2 have own maintenance stage, I
suggest 9-12 months and last (minor number 5) 18 months; this concept
expects massive using rolling update between minor version of
distributions. It would be interesting to have extra stage for last
version (5) - evergreen.
Probably it is necessary to synchronize OpenSUSE development cycle with
SLES/SLED, but it concerns only duration of stages - I can imagine,
that minor version 2 can be a base of this commercial distributions and
(last) version can be base for "service pack" and it is also reason for
some exception and more extensively updating.

#1: Michal Nidl (michalnidl) (2013-02-06 18:41:19)
I completely agree with changes of life cycle of openSUSE. In my
opinion the best posibility is to extend the basic life cycle to one
year. Moreover I agree with all points suggested here.

#2: Per Jessen (pjessen) (2013-02-07 11:15:29)
Whether or not your ideas have merit, it doesn't make much sense to
discuss them here. You're not talking about a feature, but a very
significant change to the distro. It's probably better to discuss this
on the opensuse-project mailing list.

+ #3: Juraj Václavík (juvi) (2013-02-16 19:42:50) (reply to #2)
+ Yes, this idea represents very significant change as, by my opinion,
+ todays concept limited spreading the OpenSUSE distribution. I repeat,
+ that this idea is for a wide discussion. I think, that OpenSUSE
+ distribution is not only for its developers, what are concentraced on
+ the opensuse-project mailing list. By my opinion, this platform is
+ closer to users and for this discussion is better. And, last, but not
+ least, this platform was recommended me...

List Navigation