[openFATE 314818] Life cycle for OpenSUSE
Feature changed by: Juraj Václavík (juvi)
Feature #314818, revision 2
Title: Life cycle for OpenSUSE

Requested by: Juraj Václavík (juvi)

- <!-- @page { size: 21cm 29.7cm; margin: 2cm } P { margin-bottom: 0.21cm
- } -->
Although this theme has been here many times, I return it again. The
reason is discussion in Ubuntu and Fedora communities, that reflects
the same problems, as exists in OpenSUSE..
I think, that today's concept is not good and limiting the spreading
this, I think, very good distribution into population. Today's concept
generates every 8 (or another number) months a quite new distribution.
That distribution includes the newest features – but it is suitable
for only a small group of users, as these features significantly
decreases the platform stability.
I think, that surely exists good concepts, that can solve it. I think,
that only determining a some period is not a solution, as, of course,
every quite new system must have a lot of bugs. To get a good and
stable distribution this distribution must have a time for
consolidation. I also think, that OpenSUSE has a good tools that is
very suitable for solving problems, that my concept require: good work
- with repositories, rolling update – thumbleweed and alternatively
+ with repositories, rolling update - thumbleweed and alternatively
evergreen.
I think, that we can search solution easy by:
- 1) Prolongation the life cycle – the new major version distribution
- can start every approximately 18 – 24 months.
- 2) structure the life cycle – development stage, stabilization stage,
+ 1) Prolongation the life cycle - the new major version distribution can
+ start every approximately 18 - 24 months.
+ 2) structure the life cycle -€“ development stage, stabilization stage,
production stage, maintenance stage, (evergreen stage?)
- 3) generating production distributions from “the actual state of the
- art” - every 6 months
+ 3) generating production distributions from "œthe actual state of the
+ art" every 6 months
The period of stages let is a theme for discussion. I think, that
developing stage can take about 6 months. This stage finished by
- generating the “zero” minor number distribution – that is not for
- production use. It follows stabilization stage – ~3 months, that
+ generating the "zero" minor number distribution - that is not for
+ production use. It follows stabilization stage -€“ ~3 months, that
includes minor number 1 and 2. The minor number 2 started the stable
stage, that continues by releasing minor number every 6 month (3, 4,
5). During this stage can be accepted new version of applications, but
only repaired and actualized version of desktop environment, compiler
and libraries. Maybe some exceptions for last minor version? What about
- new version of kernel – it is theme for discussion.
- Every minor number releases since 2 have own maintenance stage – I
+ new version of kernel - it is theme for discussion.
+ Every minor number releases since 2 have own maintenance stage,€“ I
suggest 9-12 months and last (minor number 5) 18 months; this concept
expects massive using rolling update between minor version of
distributions. It would be interesting to have extra stage for last
- version (5) – evergreen.
+ version (5) - evergreen.
Probably it is necessary to synchronize OpenSUSE development cycle with
- SLES/SLED, but it concerns only duration of stages – I can imagine,
+ SLES/SLED, but it concerns only duration of stages -€“ I can imagine,
that minor version 2 can be a base of this commercial distributions and
- (last) version can be base for “service pack” and it is also reason
+ (last) version can be base for "€œservice pack"€ and it is also reason
for some exception and more extensively updating.

List Navigation