[openFATE 314746] Add Package gptfdisk to ALL openSUSE Installlation Disks
Feature changed by: Denver D. Robinson (DenverD)
Feature #314746, revision 6
Title: Add Package gptfdisk to ALL openSUSE Installlation Disks

Requested by: James McDaniel (jdmcdaniel3)

GPT Partitioned disks are becoming much more common and so the ability
to deal with these disks in every way must be native to ALL openSUSE
installation media. The gptfdisk package seems to fill that need and
should be included by default. Please consider adding in the package
gptfdisk to ALL new openSUSE 12.3 installation media.
Thank You,

Test Case:
Try to create a dual boot between Windows 8 and openSUSE 12.2 on a pre-
existing GPD partitioned disk (with secure boot disabled). You need the
package gptfdisk utilities to make the right partition types.

Use Case:
The gptfdisk package allows you to manually create the right partition
types on a GPT disk when the automatic installer fails to do so. It
makes it possible to deal with and create dual booting GPT disks. Using
the UEFI mode of openSUSE does work, but often you can not create the
right partition types manually when it is required.

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: openSUSE must be able to automatically or manually deal
with all disk types such as GPT partition disks on a UEFI based PC. Add
this package and we will have the right tools that we need.

#1: Andrey Borzenkov (arvidjaar) (2013-01-12 15:59:23)
YaST2 disk configuration is based on libparted which supports both MBR
and GPT. If it fails to correctly partition disk during installation
this is a bug which has to be fixed, not worked around by providing low
level disk partitioning tool. Do you have bug number?
That said, I support this request. gdisk is extremely useful even if
only as diagnostic tool. It is far easier to ask users to boot using
openSUSE installation disk and provide gdisk output than ask them to
download some other live CD.

#2: Agnelo de la Crotche (please_try_again) (2013-01-13 09:25:24)
I made a comment earlier but forgot to save the changes. I fully agree
with Andrey. For exemple, we needed to use gdisk to fix the (always
wrong) size of the partition in Windows 7 protective MBR before
installing openSUSE (otherwise it would create a hybrid MBR and break
Windows). We had to use Fedora's live CD to solve this problem. Having
gdisk on a live system is a must!

+ #3: Denver D. Robinson (denverd) (2013-01-14 17:46:40)
+ add in time for 12.3 please!!

List Navigation
This Thread