[openFATE 308705] Show Grub boot menu when resuming from hibernate (suspend to disk)
Feature changed by: Daniel Faust (HessiJames)
Feature #308705, revision 6
Title: Show Grub boot menu when resuming from hibernate (suspend to
disk)

openSUSE-11.3: Rejected by Stephan Kulow (coolo)
reject date: 2010-02-09 15:47:23
reject reason: not allowing to break your system by booting into
mounted file systems is a feature and we won't take it out.

Requested by: Rafael Belmonte (eaglescreen)

When I resume my computer after hibernate (suspend to disk) with
OpenSuse, Grub boot menu is not displayed, so I am forced to boot into
OpenSuse in the case of a dual boot system.
Other GNU/Linux distributions like Debian/Ubuntu display the Grub boot
menu when you power on the computer after hibernate with GNU/Linux, and
booting into MS Windows (or other) is offered.
The next time you boot again into GNU/Linux it resumes the last
hibernated session. I think OpenSuse should follow this line too.

#1: Thomas Schmidt (digitaltomm) (2010-01-12 17:17:54)
This sounds quite dangerous when you have the windows partition mounted
rw in the hibernated linux session.

#2: Markus Elfring (elfring) (2012-02-19 17:40:59)
I have got two GRUB menus since I installed openSUSE 12.1 on a new disk
for my computer. The first menu let me choose suspended kernels while
the other does not. (A "hibernated" Linux system is automatically
started from my GRUB 0.97-177.1.2 environment - the "green" variant.)
I am also curious about answers around a question like " How grub knows
there is a system in suspend/hibernate state?
(http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-general-1/how-grub-knows-there-is-a-system-in-suspend-hibernate-state-742782/#post3620208)
".

+ #3: Daniel Faust (hessijames) (2013-01-10 13:40:02)
+ In openSUSE 12.2 removing the file /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/99Zgrub
+ works for me.
+ > How grub knows there is a system in suspend/hibernate state?
+ /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/99Zgrub gets called when you suspend to disk.
+ It starts /usr/sbin/grubonce, telling grub which os to start next time.
+ I would like to see an easier way to set this up, too. It's a valid use
+ case for a dual boot system where you want so pause your work on linux
+ to use a program on windows. And a big warning to not cross mount any
+ partitions would be enough in my opinion.