[openFATE 313375] Have zypper clean cached packages intelligently
Feature changed by: Donovan Cameron (saultdon)
Feature #313375, revision 4
Title: Have zypper clean cached packages intelligently

Requested by: Donovan Cameron (saultdon)

When you tell zypper to clean the cached packages with the command:
zypper clean This removes ALL cached packages. Over time, zypper will
keep all versions of a package RPM file. This can result in a bloated
/var/cache/zypp folder.
It would be nice to be able to remove all OLD cached packages and keep
the latest one, or even have more functionality like being able to
specify how many previous versions (to control rollback ability when
using the --force flag).
Or if it finds that a package is the only one, just keep it.
Pseudo code example: If package is installed then ..If package names
are the same ....keep the newest version ..Else if package has no
matches ....do not delete Else package is no longer installed ..delete
cached package

#1: Jan Engelhardt (jengelh) (2012-05-10 06:50:27)
So just add keeppackages=0 to /etc/zypp/repos.d/<whatever>.repo

+ #2: Donovan Cameron (saultdon) (2012-05-31 22:21:57) (reply to #1)
+ I want to cache packages though. This makes it so I can share this
+ folder location over the network for other users to install from or
+ contribute too. This is a much-needed-feature as it actually costs me
+ money not to have it and takes up precious disk space! My ISP has usage-
+ based-billing so cutting down on bandwidth usage is important. What I
+ also do not want zypper to do is keep the old RPM in there when a new
+ one is installed.
+ In some cache folders, I have almost 20-50 files for a single program,
+ all different versions. I only want the latest one or options to keep
+ rollback versions to something I specify, like the last 2 revisions...