[New: openFATE 313168] Suggestion for making KDE4 base apps portable and stand-alone.
Feature added by: hal dawn (finders)

Feature #313168, revision 1
Title: Suggestion for making KDE4 base apps portable and stand-alone.

openFATE: Unconfirmed

Requested by: hal dawn (finders)

Suggestion for making KDE4 base apps portable and stand-alone. KDE4 requires me
to install apple device compatibility libraries and desktop search if I dare to
install any KDE4 application on top of minimal X setup. (I'm not talking about
patterns) I don't have any apple devices to use with my KDE4 desktop and I'm
not interested in desktop search features, even less interested in social
network integration. If I choose to install plasma desktop, kde session,
dolphin, kmix, kwrite, ksnapshot and konsole... I'd expect it to install just
these things that I asked for, not PIM, sql servers, zeitgeist, strigi and
nepomuk. Certainly not libs for my non-existant iphone and my non-existant QR
code reader. If I dare to remove any of these dependencies, I end up with
broken KDE which should not be the case, I'm aware KDE4 can be built without
them. Mandatory libs required for basic functionality should be merged into
kdelibs4 package, the rest should be optional. (My opinion anyway) Bonus RPG
quote :

The Builder places thy challenges before thee as a stairway of hewn stone up
the tower of thine life. When thou seekest to add to those challenges, to
compass thine pride, thou dost clutter the design of the stairway, and
introduce cracks and weaknesses, through which The Trickster mayest enter and
bring thy ruin!

List Navigation