[openFATE 307522] Improve font rendering on openSUSE
Feature changed by: Jan Matejek (matejcik)
Feature #307522, revision 16
Title: Improve font rendering on openSUSE

openSUSE-11.3: Rejected by Andreas Jaeger (a_jaeger)
reject date: 2010-11-08 16:38:47
reject reason: Not done for 11.3.

openSUSE-11.4: Rejected by Andreas Jaeger (a_jaeger)
reject date: 2010-11-08 16:39:22
reject reason: Not clear what exactly needs to be done.

Requested by: Andres Linares (satoshi-takao)

It would be great if font rendering in openSUSE looks like Mac OS X's
or Windows' with Cleartype. Ubuntu has improved it a little. I think
this could be important for openSUSE interface.

#1: Thomas Schmidt (digitaltomm) (2009-08-31 12:54:52)
Could you please give more information on how to achieve this? Afaic
cleartype is disabled in opensuse because of microsoft patents. There
is a howto for enabling it:
http://opensuse-community.org/SubpixelHinting

#2: Jan Engelhardt (jengelh) (2009-09-03 16:09:17)
And also, subpixel rendering leaves an ugly color trail on CRTs, that
is even noticable on LCDs.

#3: Robert Davies (robopensuse) (2009-12-01 00:15:47)
Having installed Windows 7, and having gone through a wizard for their
font rendering, I am not so convinced by their technology; I found
their examples rather fuzzy and unclear on a good Pro CRT.  Most font
issues I see in Linux are cured by CNTRL-+; though I have seen
screenshots of some disgusting fonts in YaST post-installation.

#4: Isaak Malik (earthmind) (2010-07-16 14:36:12)
To be honest, working in OpenSUSE irritates my eyes very fast because
of the bad font anti-aliasing.  This however does not occur in Windows
or not even Ubuntu.

#5: Isaak Malik (earthmind) (2010-07-28 16:27:55)
Please read this article on Linux Journal:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/prettier-fonts-way
This entirely solves the patenting issues.

#6: Jan Matejek (matejcik) (2010-08-23 19:30:50)
-1 - ClearType is ugly itself.
the usual perceived problem is that fonts on webpages are ugly, but
this is solved by installing MS core fonts - in other words, it is not
a question of font rendering, but a question of using ugly (substitute)
fonts in the first place.
as for desktop fonts, to my poor eyes it seems that they are good
enough by default - care for some comparison screenshots?

#8: Jan Engelhardt (jengelh) (2011-12-30 07:50:38) (reply to #6)
Wikipedia has a reasonable explanation and pictures of the difference
between Antialias and AA+ClearType. Yes, AA without ClearType makes
fonts perhaps look more gray.
And this potential extra gray affect seems to have been ignored on
features.opensuse.org where the CSS author decided to use #444444
instead of #000000... duh.

+ #9: Jan Matejek (matejcik) (2012-01-04 17:16:59) (reply to #8)
+ i understand the difference between AA, subpixel rendering and various
+ methods of font hinting. what i meant by comparison screenshots is
+ "opensuse default" versus "how it's supposed to look" (in OP's
+ opinion). again, to me, default openSUSE's font configuration looks
+ reasonably well

#7: Jared Meidal (kahu) (2011-12-29 23:17:06)
Using OpenSUSE 12.1 + KDE 4.7.4 with freetype2-devel 2.4.7 my fonts are
crystal clear. (A DVI cable helps!) I have anti-aliasing enabled, and
sub-pixel rendering to RBG, and hinting style to Medium.
I think this is as good as it gets, and the issue has been solved with
freetype 2.4 released last year.