[openFATE 312476] automatic daily fstrim for SSD
Feature changed by: Hans de Raad (hcderaad)
Feature #312476, revision 5
Title: automatic daily fstrim for SSD

Requested by: vincent lejeune (vlj)

As SSD are becoming more affordable they are also becoming more
widespread on laptop and desktop computer. Modern SSD supports the TRIM
functionality. This functionality delays costly erase operation to
speed up performance ; these erase operations are then executed by
batch (this is SSD equivalent to defragmentation). SSD can only run at
their full potential if this functionality is also supported by kernel
and/or userland on the OS. Sadly TRIM support by kernel is not optimal
yet. Erase operation are not launched automaticaly and this impacts
overall SSD performance.
A cron script written at setup phase could launch fstrim program each
night; this program performs the erase operation needed not to struggle
the SSD.

#1: Greg Freemyer (gregfreemyer) (2011-06-05 00:09:39)
There is no downside to this that I'm aware of. The kernel added a
FITRIM ioctl for ext4 and xfs I believe in the fall of 2010. fstrim is
just the userspace tool to invoke the ioctl. fstrim is already in
factory (and 11.4 I think).
If trim is not supported, then the kernel will drop the discard/trim
requests with no harm done.

+ #2: Hans de Raad (hcderaad) (2011-06-06 10:21:11)
+ Perhaps this request could be combined with:
+ https://features.opensuse.org/311341

List Navigation