[New: openFATE 311068] Akmod Equivalent for openSUSE
Feature added by: Luke Wolf (LukeWolf)

Feature #311068, revision 1
Title: Akmod Equivalent for openSUSE

Requested by: Luke Wolf (lukewolf)

Tumbleweed related as opposed to 11.4 related

Fedora has this really nice tool called Akmod or Automatic Kernel Module, which
builds kmods on boot when you load into a new kernel that doesn't have kmods or
to use the openSUSE term kmps. As we now have a rolling release in openSUSE:
Tumbleweed this kind of functionality is more important than ever. Unless there
are plans for rebuilding the kmps for Tumbleweed each time there is a new
kernel. Which doesn't seem to be the case with the Nvidia kmp only supporting
up to 2.6.34 series.

Use Case:
A user wants to run the rolling release version as opposed to the version based
version because it better suits his needs to not have to reinstall every 8
months, This user updates to all the latest packages in Tumbleweed but
unfortunately the latest kmp is for the last version release and so the user is
forced to fall back to either the open source drivers which as of yet are not
up to the user's needs, or fall back to the older kernel.

an Akmod equivalent would fix this problem

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: Because we have a rolling release now and this rolling release
has new kernels but there aren't for instance new Nvidia kmps to support it but
an akmp or whatever you want to call it would fix that

List Navigation