[openFATE 310666] More modern sound theme for KDE4
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 15:48:19 +0100 (CET)
Feature changed by: Thomas Schmidt (digitaltomm)
Feature #310666, revision 4
Title: More modern sound theme for KDE4

- openSUSE-11.4: Unconfirmed
+ openSUSE Distribution: New

Requested by: Johan Raul (daedaluz)

Let's face it: the default soundscape provided by upstream KDE4 release
is far from ideal. Majority of sounds in it are too long (default
login/logout sounds, anyone?) and they do sound very old-fashioned
(plain piano) while desktop itself is the most advanced available.
I propose that we adopt some of the other, more modern sounding open
licence sound schemes around to fix this issue. My personal favourite
from OpenDesktop.org is Feather sound set, fail.wmv omitted completely,
incoming_call.wmv cut in half with Audacity and used as login sound and
finally opening.wav used as logout.
http://opendesktop.org/content/show.php/Feather+Sound+Set?content=90916

I welcome every suggestion into this discussion.

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: It provides the whole desktop enviroment with a much more
modern feel while requiring minimal amount of work to alter upstream
release.

#1: Peter Gumbrell (gumb) (2010-10-05 11:21:42)
I'd like to see (or hear, in fact) a better default set of sounds in
KDE4. I've never been impressed with the upstream plinky-plonky and
badly quantized piano files, and always thought the KDE3 defaults were
better. I agree that the login/logout effects are too long and tedious.
I've not tried out this Feather set yet primarily because there seems
to be no 'Get Hot New Stuff' support to easily change an entire sound
scheme in KDE4, although I haven't tried out SC 4.5 yet. Anyone know if
this is planned or already implemented?
In fact I had considered creating my own scheme with my synthesizer but
the lack of such GHNS support makes me wonder if anybody would ever
bother downloading them, since they'd have to go about extracting them
into some obscure directory and setting them up individually, which
isn't very intuitive for the average user.