[openFATE 310163] Enhance KDE first login experience
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 13:28:19 +0100 (CET)
Feature changed by: Thomas Schmidt (digitaltomm)
Feature #310163, revision 8
- Title: Remove Welcome Screen on OpenSUSE KDE
+ Title: Enhance KDE first login experience

- openSUSE-11.4: Unconfirmed
+ openSUSE Distribution: New
Priority
- Requester: Desirable
+ Requester: Important

Requested by: Andres Silva (anditosan)

- Hey you all. I would first like to thank all of you who have visited
- this website and looked at the ideas I have posted. I am deeply honored
- that many of you too have considered these ideas worthwhile and would
- like to see them implemented. Well, here comes a good one I think. As I
- was talking to some people on the KDE IRC channel yesterday, there was
- a comment made about a possible way to orient new KDE users on how to
- use the desktop. However, I believe that users should be left clues to
- discover their desktop on their own. There should not be an intro popup
- or anything like that. Ponder about this for a moment. What can you
- say, for example, about paintings. Paintings are not "explained" to
+ As I was talking to some people on the KDE IRC channel yesterday, there
+ was a comment made about a possible way to orient new KDE users on how
+ to use the desktop. However, I believe that users should be left clues
+ to discover their desktop on their own. There should not be an intro
+ popup or anything like that. Ponder about this for a moment. What can
+ you say, for example, about paintings. Paintings are not "explained" to
anyone. You look at it and you get it in your own particular way. That
is enough for you and you know what it means. The clues left by the
artist are clear enough to your mind that you find meaning in the
painting. You intuitively "know" what the purpose of the painting is.
Reflect for a moment on this Cezanne and know what it means...
-
REMOVE KDE WELCOME POPUP SCREEN AND REPLACE IT WITH THIS
(http://anditosan.blogspot.com/2010/07/revolutionary-road-to-get-around.html)

#1: m s (miki100) (2010-07-19 09:47:07)
I really like this idea. But why only KDE and not also GNOME?

#2: Carlos Lange (cflange) (2010-07-25 18:09:24)
I don't like it.
Out of ten engineering students that come to work in my laboratory,
only one typically has experience with Linux. I find that the welcome
screen and the initial tutorials are a good introduction to the masses
out there that may be intimidated with a new, unfamiliar OS.

#3: Tim Edwards (tk83) (2010-07-26 16:59:02)
Sorry but this is just silly, we want more non-technical people to
adopt Linux. There's nothing more frustrating for them than being
dumped in front of an unfamiliar desktop with no help or hints to guide
them on getting started.

You might regard it as a work of art similar to a painting but I can
assure you the vast majority of the computer-using population just sees
it as a tool to get things done, one that should be as straightforward
to use a possible.

#4: Arvydas Dapkunas (adenozinas) (2010-07-27 11:35:48)
The introduction should be there.
It does not bother me. If I don't want
it I close it. I think it is at least polite
to say "introduction HI" to a new user.
Tutorial would be really impressive thing.
And I very much agree on Tims' comment.

#5: Otso Rajala (daedaluz) (2010-08-16 03:16:36)
The introduction screen should be more visible (now it literally blends
into background, not good) and better presented with clearer text.
Anything but taken away.