[openFATE 310149] Optimize power consumption while running on battery
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 13:17:19 +0100 (CET)
Feature changed by: Thomas Schmidt (digitaltomm)
Feature #310149, revision 6
Title: Optimize power consumption while running on battery

- openSUSE-11.4: Unconfirmed
+ openSUSE Distribution: New

Requested by: Andreas Demmer (ademmer)

Currently, openSUSE 11.3 does not much to preserve my battery while
being unplugged. Intel's powertop came up with many good suggestions
that cut the power consumption on my laptop in half! It would be quite
a good idea to make the powersave profile do a little bit more than
just dim the screen and throttle the CPU. Other suggestions:
* turn bluetooth off, radio is always a battery eater
* reduce USB polling
* enlarge write cache
* ...do other things that reduce wakeups to a minimum

Test Case:
- powersaving : http://pastebin.org/410555
+ powersaving : http://pastebin.org/410555 (http://pastebin.org/410555)
maximum performance : http://pastebin.org/410556
+ (http://pastebin.org/410556)
The powersaving script sets all hardware components to save powersaving
modes but skips critical settings like USB suspend which could cause
trouble.
The max performance script reverts all settings previously made by the
powersaving script.
Booth need root privileges!

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: Mobile usage is more and more a key scenario.

#1: Petri Järvenpää (pj69482) (2010-07-19 00:05:31)
Could you be more specific what and how you achieved your power
consumption improvement?

#2: Andreas Demmer (ademmer) (2010-07-21 10:23:40)
I add my scripts for powersaving and for maximum performance. You could
add them to sudoers, because the need root privileges. I did it this
way and added them as custom scripts to powerdevil profile config.
Works pretty smooth!
Of course you need to adapt the scripts to fit your system (e.g. you
won't need the ATI swith if you have not an system with ATI switchable
graphics), 4 cores etc.