[openFATE 310986] Software Search to arrive at most desirable options
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 09:29:40 +0100 (CET)
Feature changed by: Thomas Schmidt (digitaltomm)
Feature #310986, revision 3
Title: Software Search to arrive at most desirable options

- openFATE: Unconfirmed
+ openSUSE Infrastructure: Unconfirmed

Requested by: Carl Fletcher (caf4926)

Currently the Software Search and or Webpin results in a plethora of
choices, most of which are less than desirable. Ideally, search results
should First offer the most stable and or suitable packages. For
example. If a user comes along and searches for 'VLC' They are offered
a host of unstable options. Everyone knows that 'VLC' should come from
Packman. If we can't refer directly to Packman, it should be possible
to link to a multi-media giuide.
I'm going to guess this could be difficult. But it must be possible to
flag searches by keywords to redirect to the most likely solution, but
with an option to continue to search anyway.

Test Case:
Open here: http://software.opensuse.org/search and search: vlc

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: Avoid new user use of unstable or unsuitable repos.
We should be directing to the most suitable or most likely suitable
solution. At the moment it's very random.

+ #1: Thomas Schmidt (digitaltomm) (2010-12-16 09:29:00)
+ I already thought of adding notifications based on keywords that point
+ to the right download pages for example packman, nvidia etc.

List Navigation