[openFATE 310652] Have an Etherpad install on openSUSE infrastructure
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 12:24:21 +0100 (CET)
Feature changed by: Jos Poortvliet (jospoortvliet)
Feature #310652, revision 15
Title: Have an Etherpad install on openSUSE infrastructure

openSUSE Infrastructure: Evaluation by engineering manager

Requested by: Jos Poortvliet (jospoortvliet)

Currently the marketing team in particular makes use of lots of
piratepad's to work collaboratively on articles, announcements, plans
and other things. Wiki's don't offer the ease and real-time
collaboration features needed so piratepad is perfect. Except that it
isn't. Piratepad has some serious issues (see "Why do we want this?").
So we would like to have an Etherpad install on openSUSE
infrastructure.
Having our 'own' Etherpad instance on an openSUSE server would solve
these issues. Even just having it as a SUSE Studio virtual image so it
can be run somewhere would be good enough. In general, the openSUSE
servers are pretty dependable and even when not, we know who to ping to
solve problems.

Use Case:
Usecase would be pretty much half the work the marketing team does -
writing announcements, articles, planning...

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: The current 'solution' to use Piratepad has a bunch of
issues: Stability is a big one - Piratepad is down quite frequently,
sometimes for a whole day, making our work difficult. Another serious
issue is oversight. We can't see what pads we have, resulting in lost
pads (and the work we put into them) and duplication of efforts. Then
there is the lack of control. All piratepads are fully public - but we
have sometimes things we'd like to keep under the lid like
announcements we are working on, articles, board things etcetera.
Etherpad provides access control which would help us immensely. Part of
that control issue is the ability (or lack there off) of deleting pads
- we can't do that on Piratepad. Finally, we don't OWN Piratepad. If it
went away RIGHT NOW, we would loose MANY important articles,
announcements and other good work. It would be a small disaster for the
marketing team and it's getting potentially worse as we do more and
more work on Etherpad.

#1: Satoru Matsumoto (heliosreds) (2010-09-30 15:02:18)
Although I myself haven't installed EtherPad yet, the general
instructions on how to install and set up EtherPad can be found at
http://pauleira.com/13/installing-etherpad/

#2: Christian Bryant (christian_bryant) (2010-10-02 10:06:42)
I'm starting to write requirements for an Etherpad appliance I'm going
to create in SUSE Studio.  I filtered through many forums and there are
some RPMs out there, but I was hoping for an official one for
openSUSE.  Was this feature ever addressed?  Is this a "roll your own"
situation?  I don't mind creating the RPM but then it would out of
support of the release lifecycle.  Cheers!

#3: Jos Poortvliet (jospoortvliet) (2010-10-04 14:14:30)
I am not aware of any previous packaging attempts for Etherpad, maybe -
project has anyone who knows?

#4: Pavol Rusnak (prusnak) (2010-10-04 16:49:01) (reply to #3)
osc search etherpad ->

home:a_jaeger:branches:home:kwk  etherpad
home:kwk                         etherpad

#5: Christian Bryant (christian_bryant) (2010-10-06 00:34:26) (reply to
#3)
On the EtherPad list John McLear noted that after the October hackfest, a
fresh RPM will be produced.  The one I plan to use before then is here:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Etherpad
(http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Etherpad&usg=AFQjCNE-RaRDkHRSu-67niLX7Aje-fLvjQ)
http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/sdz/etherpad/fedora-13/noarch/eth...

(http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/sdz/etherpad/fedora-13/noarch/etherpad-0-0.8.20100429.fc13.noarch.rpm&usg=AFQjCNEShfVf--ZZaqroS7b66UExbOsy9A)

#6: Rajko Matovic (rajko_m) (2010-11-18 05:23:38)
Appliance and package are fine, but what about real server, something
like http://scratchpad.opensuse.org or some better name.

#7: Helen South (helen-au) (2010-11-29 05:58:15)
Agreed, that's what we need - get a server up and running. It's a
practical solution to a real problem, and surely wouldn't be that
difficult with the amount of sysadmin experience around here!
We don't need fancy features - the Piratepad one we are
currently  using is simple and effective.

#8: Rajko Matovic (rajko_m) (2010-12-13 02:58:43)
Changed status to market place.
There is not much to discuss, we either implement that on Novell
provided server farm, or look for someone that can host it.

+ #9: Jos Poortvliet (jospoortvliet) (2010-12-13 12:24:15) (reply to #8)
+ If there is a package that works and can be installed, darix has
+ promised to make sure it gets hosted. etherpad.opensuse.org I'd say :D