[openFATE 310802] Hardware TestSuite + S.M.O.L.T Windows client
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 12:19:04 +0100 (CET)
Feature changed by: Thomas Schmidt (digitaltomm)
Feature #310802, revision 4
Title: Hardware TestSuite + S.M.O.L.T Windows client

- openSUSE-11.4: Unconfirmed
+ openSUSE-11.4: Rejected by Thomas Schmidt (digitaltomm)
+ reject reason: Sorry, this seems not to be doable for us..

Requested by: SÅ‚awomir Lach (lachu)

Windows users always complain, there's no hardware compatybility on
Linux. They even won't test LiveCD. LiveCD don't always can show full
hardware support, like restricted drivers in action.
Imagine, that OpenSUSE users will run hardware test suite
afterinstallation and installation of restricted drivers. Result will
be connected with hardware profile in S.M.O.L.T . With S.M.O.LT Windows
client Windows user can match result from test suite database with
thier hardware.

Use Case:
User have download S.M.O.L.T Windows Client and see results. If results
are somethink: you may to install restricted drivers after OpenSUSE
installation to your graphics adapter or everything will be working,
then user will install OpenSUSE, eventually install restricted drivers
and run Test Suite.

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: Actually many Windows user are scary about hardware
support on Linux. They even won't install or test OpenSUSE. We need
greater market to make OpenSUSE better.

#1: Satoru Matsumoto (heliosreds) (2010-11-12 05:13:53)
Is there S.M.O.L.T Windows Client or development project already?

#2: Rajko Matovic (rajko_m) (2010-12-10 04:59:38)
Fact that some users don't want to run Live CD is something that any
kind of hardware compatibility list will not change, but elaboration on
that is another story. Live CD can be used as indication about hardware
compatibility, not as comprehensive test. Smolt windows client is not
really possible. Smolt consists from data collection and reporting
parts. Reporting part is written in Python, and it can probably run
under the windows if there is python runtime (some kind of shell) for
windows. Data collection part is almost impossible to create. Hardware
test suite that will collect data in windows would have to provide same
functionality as Linux kernel, plus ability to switch between windows
and Linux on the run. If that would be easy, then we would not have
dual boot, or virtual machines, but simple installation in parallel
where both systems will run as we need them. The closest match to this
is Xen with its hypervisor, but it offers its own hardware drivers to
operating systems running on top of it, so there will be tested
compatibility with hypervisor not with real hardware.
I guess that this feature is software equivalent of MI (mission
impossible) - not entirely impossible, but very unlikely to happen in a
real world.