[openFATE 308343] external screen detection
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 11:00:58 +0100 (CET)
Feature changed by: Daniel Lee (erget)
Feature #308343, revision 7
Title: external screen detection

Hackweek V: Unconfirmed

Info Provider: marco mendoza (marcomendoza)
Requested by: marco mendoza (marcomendoza)

Dear Suse comunity,
Im proud to say Im getting involved into the Suse world, and even
though Im a simple user of the OS systems, I found essential to have a
performing OS in order to perform my current work. Whereas I got in
love to Opensuse (I did start with it wo knowing anything...ubuntu or
Suse...I have taken Suse and Im loving it), there is a couple of
current options from comercial OS systems that I feel it is missing
even in the last version of Opensuse. Particulary I would like to
suggest the necessity of having an external screen detection system, I
heart that some people manages to do it manually, but I think that such
functionality should be part of an OS at the level of Opensuse.
I have in in mind other couple of whishes, I will come with them in a
following post in case my suggestions are taken in consideration.
Thanks for commenting on this idea and the feasibility of it.
greetings
              Marco A.

#1: Thomas Schmidt (digitaltomm) (2010-01-12 18:46:27)
kde4 pops up a krandr window for me when an external monitor is plugged
in. Doesn't this work for you?

#2: Thomas Thym (ungethym) (2010-11-22 16:03:50) (reply to #1)
You are right, Thomas. It's working like this in KDE. However I think
it could be improved.
E.g. when I plug in a projector:
1. Do not move my pannels, widgets etc onto the projector screen but
keep them on the notebook screen.
2. Offer the resolution of the device not only standard resolutions.
3. Make it much easier to choose if you want to clone your screen of
extend it.
4. Reduce all the flicker one the screens when you apply the changes.
(e.g. freeze the actual screen and fade into the new one when it's
finaly buit, or fade over black.)

+ #3: Daniel Lee (erget) (2010-12-07 10:55:56) (reply to #1)
+ Doesn't do it for me! I use kde4 on OpenSUSE 11.3 64-bit. It asks me if
+ I want to configure an external monitor when I connect it in a KDE
+ session, but only if I open up the display settings in the personal
+ settings. Kind of late for that question - I've already called the
+ options up!

+ #4: Daniel Lee (erget) (2010-12-07 11:00:40) (reply to #3)
+ Sorry, I thought I could reply to Thomas Schmidt's comment directly.
+ Here's my two bits: - If you plug in a monitor while booting, OpenSUSE
+ recognizes it but stretches a screen with 600x800 resolution over it,
+ which is only rarely the case. I guess it's guessing that, because a
+ VGA chord's connected, it must be a standard size projector. - If you
+ plug in a monitor in a KDE session, it doesn't connect it automatically
+ (see my last comment) My suggestion: - When an external monitor is
+ connected, it should be used with the optimal resolution. I work a lot
+ on a laptop and would be happy if SUSE would figure out if the laptop
+ is open or closed. If it's open, it could extend the screen. If closed,
+ it could set the external monitor as the only screen.
+ Currently I avoid these problems by running an xrandr script at the
+ beginning of my KDE session, since I work a lot on my laptop with an
+ external monitor and it's not always the same monitor. But if that's
+ possible with xrandr through one command, I don't see why it shouldn't
+ be implemented in the system.