[openFATE 310938] Support Harddrives with more than 3TB capacity
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2010 21:31:52 +0100 (CET)
Feature changed by: Denny Beyer (lumnis)
Feature #310938, revision 2
- Title: Support Harddrives with > 3TB capacity
+ Title: Support Harddrives with more than 3TB capacity

openFATE: Unconfirmed

Requested by: Denny Beyer (lumnis)

As harddrives with capacities more than 3TB's are available, we need to
ensure that those drives are fully supported. That includes: -
mainboard chipset drives supporting those drives - booting from those
drives : That requires EFI/UEFI support, as MBR only supports 2TB
harddrives as maximum because it's based on 32bit fields - drive needs
to be set up as GPT drive because GUID partitiontable uses 64bit sector
numbers - full capacity is recognized by the system and usable Recent
tests were showing issues with current linux systems.
Could somebody with more inside knowledge could comment on that and if
this could cause problems with upcoming openSUSE releases?

Test Case:
I haven't got the needed hardware, but if somebody does, could he/she
try to install openSUSE 11.3/4 and report issues to get some idea where
we are with regards to this issue.

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: As available harddrive capacities are constantly growing,
we need to make sure that opensuse can be installed on those systems
without a problem.

List Navigation