[openFATE 310571] L2TP-protocol connection setup for VPN via YaST in yast2-network module
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 19:42:03 +0200 (CEST)
Feature changed by: Сергей Миронов (serg0)
Feature #310571, revision 4
Title: L2TP-protocol connection setup for VPN via YaST in yast2-network
module

Requested by: Сергей Миронов (serg0)

- Many internet-providers give an opportunity to create VPN-connection
- via pptp-protocol and l2tp-protocol.
+ Many Internet providers give an opportunity for creation VPN-
+ connections via pptp-protocol or l2tp-protocol.
PPTP protocol is used widely. It is old and slow.
- L2TP protocol is more stable and fast in use.
- The speed of my internet (and not only for me!) significally increased
- after I changed pptp on l2tp. With pptp my speed was 2Mbit/s (download)
- and 1,5 Mbit/s (upload). With l2tp I got 10 Mbit/s on download and 30
- Mbit/s on upload. It is a result of tests on speedtest.net and 2 other
- sites.
- The PPTP connection I made with yast2-network module (DSL). It is fast,
- simple and convinient way (as everythins in Yast). But this module does
+ L2TP protocol gives more stable connections and increases significally
+ the speed of internet.
+ The speed of my internet (and not only for me!) REALLY increased after
+ I changed the type of my internet-connection from pptp to l2tp. With
+ pptp my speed was 2Mbit/s (download) and 1,5 Mbit/s (upload). With l2tp
+ I got (on the same line!) 10 Mbit/s on download (limited by provider)
+ and 35 Mbit/s on upload. Tests on speedtest.net and several other test-
+ sites approved this.
+ I made the PPTP connection with yast2-network module (DSL). It is fast,
+ simple and convinient way (as everything in YaST). But DSL module does
not have an opportunity to make VPN connection via L2TP protocol.
- I suggest to add L2TP protocol in yast2-network module to make
- connections via PPP over Ethernet, PPP over ATM, CAPI for ADSL, Point
- To Point Connection Protocol and L2TP CONNECTION PROTOCOL !
- I used xl2tp package but I couldn't tune right all nesessary scripts in
- /etc/ppp directory.
- In forums I looked at different ways to run proper l2tp connection. The
+ I suggest to add L2TP protocol in yast2-network module to give choise
+ between connections via PPP over Ethernet, PPP over ATM, CAPI for ADSL,
+ Point To Point Connection Protocol and L2TP CONNECTION PROTOCOL !
+ I used xl2tp package to create connection but I couldn't tune right all
+ nesessary scripts in /etc/ppp directory.
+ In forums I found different ways to run proper l2tp connection. The
best one on my opinion is using the script from
here:  http://homenet.corbina.net/index.php?showtopic=267122
(http://homenet.corbina.net/index.php?showtopic=267122)  This
- script helped me to use xl2tpd and establish l2tp connection.
- Searching for this method takes several days. In spite of working l2tp-
- connercion I am not sure in security as it was with PPTP connection
+ script helped me to use xl2tpd and establish true l2tp connection.
+ Searching for this method takes several days. But now I am not sure in
+ security of established l2tp-connection as I was with PPTP connection
created with DSL module in yast2-network.
- Another method for l2tp-connections developed for
+ Another method for creation of l2tp-connections developed for
Mandriva:  http://code.google.com/p/vpnpptp/
(http://code.google.com/p/vpnpptp/)
- (http://code.google.com/p/vpnpptp/) PLEASE add L2TP protocol to YaST!
- I sure it'll improve my favourite openSUSE beside other popular
- distros.
+ From kernel 2.6.23 kernel module pppol2tp included in vanilla kernel. This
+ is another reason to include L2TP protocol in the list of protocol-
+ choises in DSL connection module.
+ openSUSE developers, PLEASE add L2TP protocol to YaST! I sure it'll
+ really improve my favourite openSUSE beside of other linux distros!
For simple users like me, not for red-eyes linux-penguins, YaST is
- more convenient method to create l2tp-connections beside a manually
- correction of shell-scripts in core of operating system.
- Unfortunately i n Windows L2TP connections are available in built-
- in Network-connections-module in Control Panel. But OpenSUSE has not
- suth a necessary tool.
- Vote for L2TP to openSUSE!!!
+ more convenient method to create l2tp-connections beside of a
+ sysadmin's way with manually corrected shell-scripts in the core of
+ operating system.
+ In Windows L2TP connections are available via built-in Network
+ Connections module in Control Panel.
+ But openSUSE has not such a necessary tool.
+ Simply users, like me, please vote for L2TP to openSUSE!!!

List Navigation