[openFATE 308323] Integration Dynamic Kernel Module Support
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 23:46:14 +0200 (CEST)
Feature changed by: vincent lejeune (vlj)
Feature #308323, revision 9
Title: Integration Dynamic Kernel Module Support

Requested by: Thomas Beimel (rheydtergekko)

Integrate DKMS in openSuSE repositories
Especially for more unexperienced users, it is a hassle to compile
kernel modules again and again if a kernel update is executed
automatically. For such users it would be much easier if kernel modules
e.g. needed for virtual machines like VirtualBox would be recompiled
and reconfigured automatically like in other distributions like Ubuntu,
Fedora,... with DKMS. I think DKMS is one great feature that openSuSE
misses and has to include.
Example why DKMS is so important:
Different rather unexperienced users that I convinced using Linux like
the GUI etc. and miss the abilities to work with simple commands on the
terminal. So if they cannot get help from another person, they would
not be able to use their preconfigured virtual machine anymore because
of an mandatory kernel update that is made automatically.
Please add Dynamic Kernel Module Support to SuSE soon!
More info:
http://linux.dell.com/dkms/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Kernel_Module_Support

#1: Jan Engelhardt (jengelh) (2009-12-30 20:12:21)
What does it have that KMP does not?

#2: Rémy Marquis (spyhawk) (2010-03-07 01:03:28)
Seems to be a duplicate of  https://features.opensuse.org/305148
(https://features.opensuse.org/305148)

#3: Patrick Dubeau (daax) (2010-09-01 04:19:50)
As a user of Mandriva Linux, I clearly vote for this one, for the sake
of simplicity.

+ #4: vincent lejeune (vlj) (2010-09-01 23:46:02)
+ I have already created a package in my OBS repo :
+ home:vlj dkms
+
+ the advantage of dkms over KMP is that user can easily build (and use)
+ drivers that cannot be distributed as KMP for licensing reasons : dkms
+ build locally package as long as the user provide module source code.
+ It is automatically rebuilt at kernel upgrade as KMP.
+ Such kernel module that can't be provided by opensuse team as KMP :
+ - nvidia - emgd - broadcom - perhaps fglrx ? - Qualcomm chipset - ...

List Navigation