[openFATE 310069] run yast2 second stage config in ncurses or VGA mode
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 18:18:31 +0200 (CEST)
Feature changed by: jpxviii jpxviii (jpxviii)
Feature #310069, revision 6
Title: run yast2 second stage config in ncurses or VGA mode

+ Hackweek V: Unconfirmed
+ Priority
+ Requester: Mandatory

Requested by: Bernhard Wiedemann (bmwiedemann)

With 11.2 default installs, I have observed 3-4 installs and 2-3 of
those ended with a black screen where yast2 second stage configuration
should have been.
The actual reasons for the black screens differed. One had an ATI
graphics driver crash and another used the maximum possible resolution
(1600x1200), which the CRT-monitor could not handle. However, from a
user perspective, this all came out to the same awful experience - a
non-working system that is giving no hint to what might be wrong.
Also, before this second stage configuration finished, many of the
normal methods to debug and amend such problems can not be used. e.g.
adding a "3" for a different runlevel does not work and the user-
password is not set (only root).
So my suggestion to better the experience is to start out in ncurses or
safe VGA mode and at some point (e.g. at end of configuration) prompt
the user "I am now trying the $DRIVER graphics driver which might not
work. Old settings will be restored in 15 seconds. If you encounter
problems, check http://en.opensuse.org/SDB/Graphics/$DRIVER for help
[OK] [Cancel]"
Of course, it could be argued, that X11-autodetection and drivers
should work and bugzilla be involved, but this would not improve the
general user-experience for the cases where something breaks anyway.
Often quality is not about how well something works, but how well
something fails.

#1: Bruno Friedmann (bruno_friedmann) (2010-07-01 06:19:39)
I love the principle of having attention to how we continue if it
crash.
To add a point to second stage, I encounter many times trouble with
complex install ( having 4 or more harddrvie with multiple hdd
controller ). Stage2 is launch with kexec, and so we never try the real
boot. It's very frustating for users to have finished their
installation, start working, and next reboot just have cryptic error
message from grub, or not having grub installed on the right disk. (
sorry for this time, I've no idea how we can test this ).
For the Xorg part, I'm totally agree with Bernhard, about the warning
message and the fallback in case of failure.

#2: Jan Engelhardt (jengelh) (2010-07-19 19:37:38)
Hopefully this is addressed in 11.3 where Xorg-server was bumped to
1.8.0, fixing some KMS integration issues.